Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of researching and picking up some new parts for my d16z6 build. Last year it made 156whp on a Mustang Dyno. The car ('93 del Sol Si) is used almost exclusively for time attacking and lapping. I'm looking at making more power up in the higher RPM range. You can see the Dyno video, graph and build details here.

I believe that I can make a little more power since some of the parts I was using are a little sub-par. I've recently picked up a Skunk2 IM, 68mm TB (likely going to use a 60mm anyway) and a Skunk2 air intake filter with dimpled velocity stack. I'm looking to get a better header (likely a 1320 4-1) and slightly larger diameter exhaust (2.5" from 2.25").

Last year I used a simple generic cotton filter with generic 3" aluminum short-ram tubing. I have a generic cold-air intake lying around - I think it's 2.5" or 3". If I can recall correctly, short-ran make a little more power mid-range whereas CAI make power in the higher RPM range.

There are many, many options out there. What intake would you recommend?

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
same diameter as the throttlebody with a velocity stack on end.

make your own. cheap and effective.

beware the BLOX velocity stack 2.5" with its 6" filter. mine has dirt/sand all over the tube, and there is no other way but through the filter for air to pass through.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess I'll stick with the generic aluminum piping I have. It's between 2.5" to 3". I need to check to confirm. That is around the same size as the 60mm throttle body.

I've already picked up the Skunk2 IM so I'll be going with that. I have seen that there's a preference for the Performer X but I got a great deal I the S2. Budget...

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
if you bought the skunk2 used, verify which generation of manifold it is, and check the coolant barb on t3eh flange for looseness, and make sure the brake booster port isnt ready to fall off.

commen troubles for the v1 and v2 manifolds I believe. V1 for sure

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Skunk 2 intake was worth 8 whp on a D16A6 NASA H4/PTE build, not sure if Sam was using an A6 or Z6 intake before that, I'll ask.

2012 NASA PTE National Champions, got the champagne shower.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Skunk 2 intake was worth 8 whp on a D16A6 NASA H4/PTE build, not sure if Sam was using an A6 or Z6 intake before that, I'll ask.

Id guess stock untouched d16z6 manifold was the previous one.

a d15b7 manifold dyno's a few ponies above the d16a6 oem manny

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
depends where you consider it.

if you are already at 150whp on an NA D, $250 for 8 more ponies is cheap.

on a 100% stock setup, 250 bucks can go further than 8hp

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great input!

if you bought the skunk2 used, verify which generation of manifold it is, and check the coolant barb on t3eh flange for looseness, and make sure the brake booster port isnt ready to fall off.

commen troubles for the v1 and v2 manifolds I believe. V1 for sure
It was purchased used. I will definitely look into this.

A lot of the research that I've done has pointed toward the skunk2 im being the same as a y8 mani as far as performance. I'll try and find the graphs, but correct me if I'm wrong. I've been told it's more for "engine bay bling".
I'm currently using a y8 IM that had the inlet ported to 60mm, the runners polished up and the runner outlets port matched to the intake side of the head. I had read that the y8 IM is the better of the d16 stock offerings and can perform well with the above mentioned simple modifications. The purpose of the Skunk2 is simple: it was cheap and I want to see if it makes a difference.

Skunk2 is more like a b-series manifold with a d-series flange from what I read.
That's what it looks like to me as well.

Good to know.

So 8hp for $250 (new s2 im) doesn't seem like much bang for buck.
depends where you consider it.

if you are already at 150whp on an NA D, $250 for 8 more ponies is cheap.

on a 100% stock setup, 250 bucks can go further than 8hp
At this stage of the project even if I did purchase it new (a little more expensive north of the border thanks to the terrible exchange rate…) it would be worth the few extra ponies. But luckily (we'll see) I was able to find one in good condition for a very good price.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't get me wrong, if I found one cheap I'd grab it. I too am curious to see what gains you may see with it over a ported y8 IM
It'll be hard to say if any increases will be attributable to the IM only. I have a 60mm TB (I got a 68mm with the IM but from what I've been told that may actually cost me power) and I've also picked up RDX injectors, a Skunk2 air filter with dimpled velocity stack and I'm going to be getting a better header (looking at the 1320 RMF 4-1 vs the Megan Racing 4-2-1 I have), a 2.5" exhaust and Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators (one as the resonator and the other as the muffler).

Hopefully it works well with all the other bits I picked up and will be picking up. But like you mentioned earlier, engine bay bling!

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
I think we need to consider that there are 2 types of Skunk2 intake manifolds, the Type R Replica and the Kinsler Replica. Anyone already tried the Kinsler Replica?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't get me wrong, if I found one cheap I'd grab it. I too am curious to see what gains you may see with it over a ported y8 IM
It'll be hard to say if any increases will be attributable to the IM only. I have a 60mm TB (I got a 68mm with the IM but from what I've been told that may actually cost me power) and I've also picked up RDX injectors, a Skunk2 air filter with dimpled velocity stack and I'm going to be getting a better header (looking at the 1320 RMF 4-1 vs the Megan Racing 4-2-1 I have), a 2.5" exhaust and Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators (one as the resonator and the other as the muffler).

Hopefully it works well with all the other bits I picked up and will be picking up. But like you mentioned earlier, engine bay bling!
Yeah if it's cheap, at the very least it looks much better. I'm going to swap out my z6 intake mani for a y8 and get it powder coated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah if it's cheap, at the very least it looks much better. I'm going to swap out my z6 intake mani for a y8 and get it powder coated.
I'll be doing something similar with the Skunk2. I'm going to clean it up and paint the body a flat black keeping the shiny bits. Do you need a y8 IM? I've got one off the car right now. I did the porting of the inlet to 60mm, cleaned up the runners and opened the outlets. The one on the car right now was professionally done by the gent that ported and polished my z6 head (Canadian Cylinder Heads).

I'm planning on selling them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be doing something similar with the Skunk2. I'm going to clean it up and paint the body a flat black keeping the shiny bits. Do you need a y8 IM? I've got one off the car right now. I did the porting of the inlet to 60mm, cleaned up the runners and opened the outlets. The one on the car right now was professionally done by the gent that ported and polished my z6 head (Canadian Cylinder Heads).

I'm planning on selling them.
I might. I'm at a halt right now until I get all my wiring figured out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts