Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16y8 engine with headers and a cold air intake. I want to buy a skunk2 intake manifold and i was wondering what all the positive and negative effects of that would be because some forums are saying it will drop my low end torque and i will lose more horsepower and torque then i will gain. Please help me out and give me as much info about this as possible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like what, what are some other mods i can do to it for cheap that will still give me extra power?

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
like what, what are some other mods i can do to it for cheap that will still give me extra power?
Get you head milled and bump your compression?
Get a cam?
Get a S.I tranny if you don't already?
Get a bigger exhaust?
Get some pistons?

On a mild I/H/E set-up a Skunk2 will do nothing in terms of whp and tq.
From what we dynoed in the past on a similar set-up (i/h/e) the Z6 lost power all threw the powerband except it gained some peak hp after 6400rpm's.
Your better off using your Y8 and spending the money somewhere'else if your on a budget.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay cool, thank you i am just new to modding cars and i am just trying to understand as much as possible and what are some good pistons to put in a D16y8? I have read alot of threads about the p29's being the best, but i dont want my compression ratio to be above 12.1:1 cause the highest gas around where i live is 91 octane. I Also would like to keep my gas mileage up so i dont want to do anything that will significantly drop it. Also what are some good cams? and also do fuel pressure regulators really help? cause i read that the stock 240cc injectors have the best fuel atomization at 55 psi which is above stock pressure. Also what are the best things to do for it to gain some more torque?

·
Registered
hover car
129 Posts
Also what does it mean to get your head milled?
lmao

not to be rude: search please search forever then ask.

and to answer your question it is when you cut part of your head surface off the make your piston to valve clearance shorter hince forth raising your comp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, but i still have all of my other quesitons about pistons and cams and fuel pressure.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb here: you have a 96-00 civic, right? If so, before you buy any hard parts, you really could get more out of an OBD1 conversion and wideband Oxygen sensor than you could from any more go-fast goodies. Why? Because OBD2 is continually trying to prevent you from making more power, because that would be bad for the environment, blah blah blah. Anyway, with an OBD1 swap and a chippable ECU you can maximize any gains from future parts purposes, AND build a knowledge base for tuning that will serve you no matter what you decide to do with your car in the future.

But, before you do any of that, I would strongly recommend buying a Helm's manual and reading it. You'll have a much better understanding of how your car works, how to fix it when things go wrong, and give you a better idea on what you might want to change in the future.

Also, shocks and springs, and re-doing your brakes are better investments than modding the engine. Not only will it make your car faster, it will most likely increase your safety, as well.

Start simple. Keep it simple. Learn as you go.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
What are you planning to do with your car? Race, street, track, or do you just want more power for everyday driving?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man for the advice on the ecu i have heard that and i will defiantly look into them. Also what programmer is best with the obd1 chip, is it the Hondata?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And to answer the other question man, right now i am in college so i am just trying to understand as much as possible about my car and do all the basic mods, because when i get out of school i am going get another daily driver and turbo and hype the hell out of my civic, but before i do anything i want to understand everything.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
what's with the grey area dude?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts