Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the best custom made intake manifold be as good as ITB's?A good designed IM would Press air into the cilinders just when the intake valve opens.So runner lenght is important also plenum volume needs to be according to the Cilinder volume .So a good designed IM would work just as good as ITB's or not....??

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
I think the ITB's will give better throttle response and more top end power overall. A good IM will work but overall a good ITB set-up is going to own a IM when properly tuned.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the ITB's will give better throttle response and more top end power overall. A good IM will work but overall a good ITB set-up is going to own a IM when properly tuned.

Hmm i thought so yeah.A guy here called Martin from Hontec Belgium has done a setup on a stock D16z6 engine (125chp ) with itb's.The only thing that was changed were the Itb's ,chp went from 125 to 166chp ...That's something you could never reach with a good designed IM i guess..

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, you would have to talk to the guys racing in the NHIRA about that. Im heard that the NHIRA out lawed ITBs on the NA class. From my understanding they are making more power with the new mani setups then they where with ITBs. It could be BS. I will look into it.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
That sucks guess I won't be racing in NHRA then....I just got my ITB's 4 days ago. ;)

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
what are u putting those ITBs on boost? i kno its difficult to tune ITBS but how hard is it? would it be streetable for a daily driver?

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
what are u putting those ITBs on boost? i kno its difficult to tune ITBS but how hard is it? would it be streetable for a daily driver?
I'm not sure how hard they'll be to tune. My plan is to have it professionally tuned to start off w/ since I have alot of cash into my build and don't want to ruin it. After the initial tune I'll be picking up a laptop and an Ostrich and will probably mess w/ it some. As for what my ITB's are going on, here's a thread I have on it w/ the build etc.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65597

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
Well, you would have to talk to the guys racing in the NHIRA about that. Im heard that the NHIRA out lawed ITBs on the NA class. From my understanding they are making more power with the new mani setups then they where with ITBs. It could be BS. I will look into it.
I've heard this too. I think you can achieve more top end, but your torque curve isn't as flat as it is with ITB's. But I don't think a skunk2 is gonna outdo ITBs though...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard this too. I think you can achieve more top end, but your torque curve isn't as flat as it is with ITB's. But I don't think a skunk2 is gonna outdo ITBs though...

Yeah true , but for example look @ the Jun Surge tank(IM) and the Engine dynamics IM they both make great power for an intake manifold.I'm not talking about mass production products like edelbrock or skunk.But a custom build IM .I love the Concept off the Jun Surge Tank ,this model is used more and more.I think it's only a matter of time for some company to copy it and release a mass production of it.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
Yeah true , but for example look @ the Jun Surge tank(IM) and the Engine dynamics IM they both make great power for an intake manifold.I'm not talking about mass production products like edelbrock or skunk.But a custom build IM .I love the Concept off the Jun Surge Tank ,this model is used more and more.I think it's only a matter of time for some company to copy it and release a mass production of it.
Exactly, I've heard that the custom IMs like you were talking about will net higher peak HP, but at the cost of your low RPM power. Not like a turbo or anything, but here's how I think of it: You make roughly the same power ITB vs. IM, but with ITBs the power is spread out from 2k-7k fairly evenly, whereas you lose power (compared to ITBS) below 3-4k, but gain above that point (again, compared to ITBs) to make more peak power with a narrower power band. At least, thats my understanding from posts that I've read on here.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
The intake manifold will be able to make more peak power, being able to take advantage of both runner length tuning and the Helmholtz resonance. However, the Helmholtz effect only happens at a narrow rpm band. The ITB benefits just from runner length tuning and throttle response from the use of smaller throttle plates close to the head/port. The ITB usually does have a wider peak torque band, but then comes the variable length intake manifolds(not that advanced yet so I won't get into that. but a example is the GSR intake manifold).

So, generally speaking, the intake manifold will have high peak torque, while the ITB will have a fatter/wider peak torque.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The intake manifold will be able to make more peak power, being able to take advantage of both runner length tuning and the Helmholtz resonance. However, the Helmholtz effect only happens at a narrow rpm band. The ITB benefits just from runner length tuning and throttle response from the use of smaller throttle plates close to the head/port. The ITB usually does have a wider peak torque band, but then comes the variable length intake manifolds(not that advanced yet so I won't get into that. but a example is the GSR intake manifold).

So, generally speaking, the intake manifold will have high peak torque, while the ITB will have a fatter/wider peak torque.
Thx now i understand the differents between these 2.A variable intake length is usually the best .Same thing with an cold air intake,and a header.If it was possible to make all of these variable then you could really make a header ,intake manifold and cold air intake that work from 2000 -8000rpm A very widee powerband.Sadly this isn't invented yet hehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts