Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard someone talkin about these. What exactly do they do? are they worth even using on a daily driven car?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
x2
It's supposed to provide a non-heat conductive (or at least less conductive than metal) barrier between the aluminum head and the aluminum IM, thus lowering the overall temperature of the IM and by proxy, the intake charge. Hondata claimed they made 5+ HP with one (IIRC) but never posted a dyno that I am aware of

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
Bisimoto Engineering • View topic - Bisimoto Intake gasket, D15B7

Some of you might say every dyno run will vary a certain percentage...Yea i didn't believe it either. I got one on my car. I couldnt tell you if i feel a difference cuz i also made it higher compression and put a header on it all at once.

When it comes down to it, it will initially help the intake charge after start up, but then eventually the whole engine will become warm enough to where it will barely help.

I say get 2 and double up then post a dyno before and after. I'll throw you all the rep i can.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just like everyone said, the HONDATA "heatshield" is for the intake manifold and it lowers intake temps, claims of 5hp, Integra dyno shows only on highway. The possibly "Tornado" pentium spacer is for your throttle body and it claims HP and +gas mileage, I believe this has been disproved. Use your dough on a Blox IM or a new throttle body.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
FTR i've all ready posted my previous experience with the before and after results from the Hondata IM and TB gasket.

The only diffrence it made was it lowered the intake temperature by 19 degrees. There was know WHP or TQ gain at all.

Peeople need to stop reading e-bay adds and disclaimers. Like the ching-chong header will add 15 hp to your D. lol.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
Unless it's made of a heat isolating material, any "spacer" will be a waste of time and money. The theory of how it makes power is only applicable to carb or throttle body fuel injected engines (not to port fuel injected engines), otherwise you're just adding a minuscule amount of plenum volume or runner length.

If you wanted more plenum volume, i'd suggest going with a Y8 manifold.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
A throttle body spacer will create more plenum volume, a manifold spacer (for our Honda's) will create added runner length. I can see added runner length creating more potential benefit than the TB spacers, but it depends on thickness and material used.

I can't see the spacer being anymore than an inch thick, otherwise you're gonna run into potential clearance issues with the firewall. I'm not sure who the manufacturer of this spacer is, but generally they are cheap to make and easy to sell. There is no R&D going into most generic spacers, basically they machine it based on port size/shape and that's all. I could be wrong though...

I see no reason for added plenum volume beyond the Y8 manifold though (besides boosted applications or balls out racing machines), it's quite large considering the engine size. You could get more benefit from porting the manifold itself. The ported Y8 manifold i had on my Y7 engine made a very noticeable difference in all RPM's, even though mine was an 4sp auto w/250,000mi on the odo. I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would have over a stock Y8 manifold though, but it fed my engine well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thats what i figured thanks for the info guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts