Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a very difficult time finding a gasket for my D16Y8. On the mani, there are four small vacc. ports, that the gasket should go up and around, but no parts stores, shops, or dealers have a gasket that goes that high as to seal those vacc. holes. I was told on one forum to JB weld the ports closed, but isn'tthe gasket there to equalize pressure? What should i do, or does anybody know where i can get the proper gasket?

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
you can buy gasket paper @ any autozone/checker style store then you can make you own gasket

also try going to summitracing.com they should have the gasket you need i got my IM gasket there but i had to buy it as a Gasket Set (rock gasket) as in head, valve and a bunch of other seals,
but i perfere the aftermarket IM gasket because all the stuff on the IM are a 1 peice gasket.
oh shouldent hondata or something or other have those thick plastic gaskets too for the IM?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither Summit, nor hondata has an intake gasket for my specific engine, thanks for your help,

Would it really hurt the motor to just JB weld the sh*t, i'm tired of looking all over BFE trying to find this gasket, plust i don't want to make my own, seeing as i haven't before, and i want it to be exact, since my stroke, i cant even trace a straight line.

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
try the dealer ship, but jb might get sucked up into where ever if it breaks down even alittle and might affect the motor if that happened, not immediately but maby in the long run

but really i can walk you thu it! its easy, no drawing neccacry if u can use a hammer its cool
you need
1-roll of gasket material
1-hammer, ball style good
1-pick/pocket knife or something to seprate teh gasket material fromt the sheet (not to cut but to help pull it from the sheet, like a sticker)

first take your mani off and lay it down so u can see the ports n stuff
then take the gasket material and press it against the mani
then take your hammer and lightly tap the edges of the mani with the gasket on it
what your trying to do is make an outline/cutting the gasket whith the hammer
after your done tapping out the outline for the mani and ports with the hammer pull the gasket off and seprate all the pecies sorta like taking a stick out of the sheet
then wala! u got a gasket for ur IM

JB isnt quality for what you need it will eventualy break apart or leak and it may not crush right with the rest of the IM gasket

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i'm having this same problem as we speak with my edelbrock intake mani.. the four little holes are causing a huge vacuum leak.. a gasket wont help because those little holes don't go right against the head, therefore there is nothing for them to seal against.....I believe my problem is I have the wrong injector gromets

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
99-00 y8 i/m have air injection ports i think thats what there called but anyway i had to plug them to put them on a 96 d16y7.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
X292J said:
you can buy gasket paper @ any autozone/checker style store then you can make you own gasket
You really can't make this gasket, because the paper gasket material will not hold up to the coolant line running through the IM. The OEM gasket has a ring/seal around the coolant line.

also try going to summitracing.com they should have the gasket you need i got my IM gasket there but i had to buy it as a Gasket Set (rock gasket) as in head, valve and a bunch of other seals,
but i perfere the aftermarket IM gasket because all the stuff on the IM are a 1 peice gasket.
oh shouldent hondata or something or other have those thick plastic gaskets too for the IM?
any reason the gasket can't just be bought from a dealer... no sense in making this harder than it needs to be.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
singlecizam said:
i'm having this same problem as we speak with my edelbrock intake mani.. the four little holes are causing a huge vacuum leak.. a gasket wont help because those little holes don't go right against the head, therefore there is nothing for them to seal against.....I believe my problem is I have the wrong injector gromets
If you don't have air injection, then those holes are supposed to be sealed up. The edelbrock IM comes with little plugs to seal those holes...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have an hondata gasket on the d16y8, fits fine

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^ wtf do you need a link for. He said it fit's. I haven't tryed and I know it fits. Just go to schucks or whatever and get some vac. plugs, done.
Get a hondata gasket, there reusable. I take my manifold off all the time, so for me it was a good investment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts