Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to forums and asking questions but I was confused. I have a 98 Civic Hatchback CX that I'm going to start building soon but I wanted to install power steering on it. Now, I know how many of you will start talking about how it's not necessary and how I'll remove it in the future etc... but this is going to be my daily and I need it to be easy to steer on a daily commute. If someone could please list the parts I need (and a quick description how to would be greatly appreciated) to get this done would be great. idk if I have to specify the engine but it has a D16Y7.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
What slo said, parts should be easy to find in the junkyards. I’m not sure what you would do about the power steering pressure switch though, whether the harness has it prewired or not.
But if you find a car to take the parts off of, installation on your car would just be the reverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What slo said, parts should be easy to find in the junkyards. I’m not sure what you would do about the power steering pressure switch though, whether the harness has it prewired or not.
But if you find a car to take the parts off of, installation on your car would just be the reverse.
Do you happen to know how would that switch be installed if it wasn't prewired in? I'm not very familiar with electrical problems.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
516 Posts
Check your current harness, since 96 honda has generally pre wired options like ac, ps, vtec, egr, ect into the the main cabin harness and only the motor harness is different for options. Since the ps switch is actually on the cabin harness its likely tucked or taped against your firewall (ive seen them with/without the connector and under dash or under hood. Though not having it won't hurt anything, it just tells ecu to bump idle up slightly when the wheels turn hard, likely won't ever notice the lack.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
subframe, rack, lines, pump, bracket, all hardware, and you may want to look into wiring up the steering pressure switch that increases idle speed, such as parking situations.

That said, the manual rack is VERY easy to turn if your car has good alignment, good tire wear, and proper tire inflation pressure.

If you are struggling to turn it now, get the tires up to 35psi bare minimum. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,236 Posts
I have been running my Del Sol for two years now with the pressure switch disconnected from when I swapped the lines and everything else over. Every time I see it, I'm like, "Damn, I need to fix that."...Then I forget until I read threads like this. Then I will forget again in five minutes when I am asked to do something else. I have family induced alzheimer's.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Its not a big deal when the engine is healthy, the IACV is strong, and there are no vacuum leaks anywhere. Yeah, it will load it up a bit, but the IACV will help maintain it.

The switch just lets it near immediately recognize it, thats all. I think its just a higher idle target per ecu command.

Im not 100% sure, just that power steering civics acted differently if that plug wasnt making good contact, and seemed to take more effort to "recover" if you had a tight parking space to get into.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,103 Posts
or....and hear me out, this may sound crazy.

use the money you would spend on parts, and hit the gym. focus on

and maybe a splash of core

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been running my Del Sol for two years now with the pressure switch disconnected from when I swapped the lines and everything else over. Every time I see it, I'm like, "Damn, I need to fix that."...Then I forget until I read threads like this. Then I will forget again in five minutes when I am asked to do something else. I have family induced alzheimer's.
So would that mean that it's not really necessary to wire the switch?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,236 Posts
I've been running it that way since April or May of 2018. So it's actually been longer than two years. Without any serious issues. That is usually not in my OCD book and I would normally fix this..but I honestly keep forgetting. I used to be an obsessor. I would Tesla-out on whatever I was doing. Now, I constantly get side-tracked no matter what. But yes, I imagine you could totally get away without wiring it up.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,677 Posts
Install 155/80/13's at 48 psi on factory steelies, you'll get better MPG and steering will feel like is has power assist. Only 8 lugs nuts to remove and install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts