Honda D Series Forum banner

Installing Head Onto Block -> Setting Initial Timing. I need help

815 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  1 Cam Wonder 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys again

Ive got the deck of my block prepped now and today or tomorrow Im going to install my head. Now this is the part I know Im going to have trouble with so let me explain everything I see.

I know I need to have both top and bottom of the engine on the same stage of the combustion cycle, thats what I think I need help with

Id like to know where my head has to be and where my block has to be. I dont know if you can turn the head easily but if someone could tell me how Id apprecaite it.

I pretty much need help with everything from setting up the position of the block and head -> having the timing belt fully installed. Assume everything is uninstalled please, the (timing belt tensoiner I think) on the side of the block is loose and I dont know where it goes.

Ive never attempted to set the timing on a Honda before so any help will be greatly appreciated.

A few things to take into consideration:
-Im new to building engines
-engine is a d16a6
-head is milled .040

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
It is far from being as complicated as SOHC v8's and v6's. No need to gauge compression or exhaust stroke.

Use your timing gear on your crank as a reference for piston TDC< along with the reference mark on your oil pump

Cam can be set via the cam gear, up mark pointing up, then the horizontal marks align with the valve cover gasket mating surface

To move the cam, just loosen the cam gear bolts, the one that retain the entire thing in place. Rotate to TDC as stated above, then tourque them back down to spec.

#6 ·
1 Cam Wonder said:
loosen up the valve train? cant just somehow secure the head in a vice and spin the cam gear? How do I know what is TDC on the head? and what cycle its on?
cam turns at 1/2 the speed of the crank. So head is only at tdc once, while crank is there twice. So you don't have to be concerned with cycle on the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.