Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a problem. I bought my 1998 Civic hatch about a month ago. Well I have a baby on the way and didn't really thinking about it being a dx and not having A/C. Well I really like this car and have put a lot of work in to it to get it daily reliable.
Cv axles both sides
Brakes front and rear including calipers and rotors
valve adjustment and valve cover gasket
reset mechanical timing because it was off
and a lot more

The problem is I don't want to sell it and buy one with a/c because then I would have to do all of that kind of stuff again. Is there a way to install a/c in a car that never had it. Is there any aftermarket a/c systems. What all parts would I need. I have tried searching but everything I can find is for removing a/c.

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
First, dx came with a/c. The previous owner probably removed it.

Best bet it to hunt down :
A/c compressor
Compressor bracket
Dryer
Condenser
Lines
Heat exchanger

All for the d16 / obd2 ( which uses 134a refrigerant )
Put it on and have a shop vac it out, add oil, and charge!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The question is did it ever have AC to begin with or did the previous owner take it out. You best bet would to hit up a junk yard and get you hands on the AC lines, compressor, compressor bracket, condenser,condenser fan, and evaporator core. If you had AC previous you might get away with a few less parts.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, dx came with a/c. The previous owner probably removed it.

Best bet it to hunt down :
A/c compressor
Compressor bracket
Dryer
Condenser
Lines
Heat exchanger

All for the d16 / obd2 ( which uses 134a refrigerant )
Put it on and have a shop vac it out, add oil, and charge!
A/c was an option on the dx as was abs which this car has neither. The a/c was never there. the car is a two owner car with me being the second owner and the first being an old lady from tennessee. I'm just wondering if the ducting is the same.

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
only the duct between the blower motor and the aircontrol box should have to be changed as that where the evaporator(ircc always got em confused been a while seen honda A/C class) is housed.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
It's all the same but it's a lot of stuff you gotta buy.

The evap coil under the dash, the box for it. Lines, confessor, fan compressor dryer, relays, and some wiring.

I know there is a write up for a 92-95 model on Honda tech.
It it the same the 96-98 just different part numbers.

And first kid? If so sleep now cause you won't later.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah first kid due on January 17th I can't wait. Ill look for that write up to thank you.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to the junkyard in the next week or so and see if I can find a car with a/c that everything is there thanks guys.

·
Registered
Crx Ftw!
187 Posts
Yeah first kid due on January 17th I can't wait. Ill look for that write up to thank you.
Holy shit no way! My son was born this last jan 17th!!! Sorry to thread jack but thats crazy lol!!!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I don't have experience with swapping in a/c, but it sounds like a ton of work.

All of the underhood mechanical would be easy, but is there already wiring for a/c clutch, pressure sensors, control unit, etc. Then your going to have to pull the dash. Maybe get another ecu.

Anything is possible, if your motivated. Is it really worth it? Plus do you have a second car to drive while its down?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ive pulled the entire A/C system from my 91 Si and am looking to sell it. Still gotta pull the stuff from under the dash though. It was ice cold before I pulled it all out. I removed it during my swap and never reinstalled it. Not sure if it will all fit your car, but i have it if you wanna kick me a few bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts