Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, Honda switched from stocking 3 different filters, down to just one, small filter. They stated that it was a more efficient design and was an improvement over the older, larger filters they had been using since '88. The A02 is, on the outside, identical to the A01, just a different manufacturer. The A01 being made by FilTech, and the A02 by Honeywell (the parent company of FRAM). There's been a lot of talk about them, and debate of if they're just another "garbage" FRAM filter. Since it's release in September, I haven't seen anyone simply cut one open and show us what's inside. So, that's what I'll do.

Inside the familiar blue case, is a rubber gasket, pleated paper media, and an anti-drainback valve. However, what will catch the most controversy are the facts that the filter has cardboard end caps, and the valve is plastic (identical to the standard FRAM filter, nicknamed by many "the orange can of doom"). The only difference I found between this and the standard FRAM filter is that the filter media has a more uniform pleat. In the orange FRAM filters, the pleating was uneven, with some sections spread apart, and some bunched together. In fact, I like the media in this one better than the FilTech's, which had a somewhat fuzzy media. Anyway, there it is. Let the arguments begin!

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
i use mobil one...no complaints here...

awesome research to the OP :TU:

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Nice post! Thanks for doing research for us all. PR4U
I am finishing a Canton Mecca 6" canister filter setup this weekend if the weather is good...
Canton filter are full flow (no bypass) synthetic element filters that flow more oil with less pressure drop, and they're good for 10K-20K miles...

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've heard SuperTech (Wal-mart filters) are identical to the Mobil 1 filters.

Haven't hacked one up to confirm though.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
interesting...

i don't have a loyalty to any brand of filter, right now i have a K&N filter, i guess i usually use the fram sure grip ones...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts