Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone i wanna turbo my d15b7 but just wanted to see if there were any suggestions as far as what size turbo wastegate ( whether internally gated or external and why? ) exhaust size downpipe size injectors etc. any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah, what are you going for? Wheel horsepower?

And out of curiosity, are you planning on keeping the B7's stock
cam or something else? Any block work (rods? ect.)

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
I think with a b7 you should go with a perty small turbo since tu bottomend in those are weaker than a a/z6 or a y8. And from what I have read the cranl ain't as strong either so, but I'm gonna say get a turbo from a t-bird or a conquest two get some Injectors and a good tune. The tune is really gonna decide if its gonna last for a while or not

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id like to make around 220-250 of course more wouldnt hurt... what would you guys recommend this is going to be my first turbo build...thats why i was asking, just curious to see what ideas and advice people who have turbod a single cam had thanks

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I think with a b7 you should go with a perty small turbo since tu bottomend in those are weaker than a a/z6 or a y8. And from what I have read the cranl ain't as strong either so, but I'm gonna say get a turbo from a t-bird or a conquest two get some Injectors and a good tune. The tune is really gonna decide if its gonna last for a while or not
Yes. I've seen some guys run all stock B7s for a while...the ones that lasted
a long time were tuned well.

As stated, the rods on the B7s are pretty small. With all motor builds, this
really isn't an issue (unless you want a little more peace of mind)..but
becomes an issue with turbo builds.

You can do it, though. It's been done a lot. Keep the PSI on the low end
and tune it well.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Id say do this :
Keep power under 200whp.
Get some head studs. Small turbo. DSM t25 or nissan t25. Then get yourself a good tune and fuel management.

If you want to check my build you can its for power around what you want.
Dont forget about state emission if you have them where you are.
Also check out the show threads to get ideas of other people builds and think what you want/can do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i appreciate all the info and quick responses. i was definitely going to do head studs and was possibly gonna do pistons and rods but havent made up my mind yet. i also didnt really plan on going over 8-10 psi with whatever setup i ran. @ xile i was actually just looking at your build, great work man. is it done yet? i noticed you had an internally gated turbo what exactly are the differences between internal and external (performance/operating wise). i was also considering the hondata s300 and a good tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do already have a volvo td05 12b turbo in my garage. no shaft play and it has water and oil lines. could i do anything with this? would it be worth it?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
My setup is almost done just lacking fuel management. I just haven't updated the build was going to wait till i got it.

Yea that turbo would work. The flanges will mean custom manifold or adapter and downpipe.

keep on reading on turbos tho psi means nothing. its cfm. Big turbo 1 psi can be the same as small turbo 5psi.

S300 is good to turn with so thats all good. What kind of injectors you plan on getting? for your power level id say 410cc-550cc

Internal gate vs ex wg. In can have problems with spikes/over boosting because they have suck a small hole. While ex wg have a bigger whole and can bleed off the exhuast faster to slow down the turbo sooner so the boost stays where its suppose to. But you gotta do more piping to route the exhuast out of the engine bay. Most small turbos are good on internal wg so if you get one with one then leave it be.

b7 piston and rods arent worth it to me. So the price id get a z6 and then swap rods n pistons. But on the stock block you can get a good 200 without worry so its up to you. IF you dont mind down time you can boost on stock block then turn up boost later when you build it up.

I plan on keeping stock block for a while and find another motor later on in the yrs to build for a little bit more boost.

Hope this helps you out and gets your started. There is tons of information out there tho so be sure to search around and read some posts even its about a problem you know you cant solve. You end up learning more by seeing what they did wrong and how it got fixed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i have a mnifold/adapter and a custom downpipe already. as far as fuel injectors i havent looked into them really. i cant seem to find specs on the turbo i have anywhere though? you wouldnt happen to know the specs would you??

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
EWG > IWG

38mm is commonly used, most manifolds will have that flange and it is more than enough even for significantly higher power setups.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh that sounds easy enough. thanks everyone for all the info and everything. i will be making a build thread very soon!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
thanks guys! is there a way to run the td05 with an external wastegate ?
One of my friends Had an external wg and a tdo5 with no internal gate actuator. Also we didn't care about keeping the turbo clocked to its factory position in order to mount an internal wg actuator.

I made a custom DP with a with an exhaust flange cut for the tdo5 and welded a small pipe and flange to mount the external WG to the original wg position. His manifold doesn't have an external position.

S300 may be over kill $$$ for your small HP goal. Were you thinking of changing out the hg to an mls with the head studs? Stock head bolts would word fine in this case as long as they are not over stretched.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow awesome! i never knew about the chip thanks guys! external wastegate is typically louder than internal right?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts