Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a commin problem on d-series trannies and its the wierd whirring noise when ur in neutral and in gear, but when u step in the clutch itll go away

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
when it gets worse, it starts rattling.... <--- happened to me

this is called the perfect time to get an EX/Si tranny if you still have the DX.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
well maybe... but when the clutch is engaged and you're in neutral, it's still spinning the mainshaft (input shaft) and you can hear it bounce around in the bearing really well because there's only idle engine noise.

push the clutch in and the engine isn't spinning the mainshaft anymore. no noise

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
The ISB rattle is common on lame serviced trannys of 75k miles and more.

Catch it early = $85
Catch it late = $150

Shipping not included.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the WORST that can happen with this ISB? Mine rattles during accel. during 1st and 2nd and is kinda loud

gotta stop downshifting

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
ever junk a $300 tranny????????????

How about 15-20 of them??????

194 lbs of scrap alum. casing = $48.50 in beer money.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I suggest replacing your axle seals when you do it, if you can. They're cheap and easy to get to when the tranny's out of the car. When the mechanic didn't do them when he replaced the clutch on my car, they leaked my tranny fluid out in 6 months.

(Somehow my ISB replacement spiralled to $240, and it hadn't exploded yet :S. Be prepared for possible problems- bad ball joints, torn motor mounts, stuff like that.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts