Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well at idle the car has this CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound coming frm the tranny...if i engage the clutch give it about a second and it goes away. im assuming it doesthe noise while driving but cant hear over exhaust and jsut the engine in general. im assuming its the input shaft bearing. if thats the case. jsut open up the tranny case remove both shafts and just knock the bearing out and just lay a new one in and good to go for replacing that bearing? thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
When's the last time you checked your tranny fluid level? Mine wasn't *bad* but it was noisy as heck cuz all my tranny fluid leaked out an axle seal. I ended up replacing it anyways. Didn't feel like having bearing balls floating into something and destroying everything.

It's somewhat more involved than your description, but that's basically it. Don't forget the washers next to the ISB on the mainshaft, the mainshaft seal, and axle seals. The whole reason my ISB died was 'cuz the mechanic didn't replace the seals when he did my clutch.

Remember- if you do it yourself, don't rush it! Be SURE you don't do something stupid, like put the weight of the tranny on the mainshaft, or put in the shift interlock guide bolt in at the wrong time. It could get really expensive!!! It helps to have someone level-headed helping you out, especially when you're trying to lift the tranny out and into the car.

Good DIY instructions:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14079

For torque specs:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/technical/albums.php

FYI, my ISB removal took me 3 weeks because of other problems. Ordering parts, a bad motor mount, a bad ball joint, and bad axle seals were only some of the problems I ran into. Be prepared for a mess of stuff!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
green_hornet_96 said:
or put in the shift interlock guide bolt in at the wrong time.
YES! I agree with him^^

I put the bolt back in incorrectly and I was locked out of 1st, 2nd and 4th for about 1 week before I had a chance to take the tranny off and fix it. I was damn lucky that the guide mechanism was the same from my old DX tranny because when I opened up the EX tranny, that bracket was bent to hell.

BTW, you might need a slide hammer with a bearing puller to get that ISB out. You can "rent" it at Pepboys or most any auto parts store. Just put it on your credit card and bring it back the next day. (that's actually their policy)

Also, make sure you order the correct bearing from the dealership... it's the one closest to the clutch. Not the other end. The dealership guys might make a mistake so be sure to look at the pic on their screen.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,457 Posts
^^^^ interlock bolt in wrong?????????

Been there done that, 7 years ago!!!!!!! Since then I've known about 5 other people to do the same :)

By your sig I assume your using a L3 ZC tranny correct?

MAke sure to order the bearing, seal, and 2 washers. ABout $36 + shipping from www.slhonda.com

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah dohc zc l3 tranny...i was actually thinking of just buying a bankup zc tranny at the moment and possibly doing the si FD and the majorbearing replacements all in this spare tranny i buy then swap it in...any info bone? i also have complete gearsets from another zc tranny i broke shift forks on if youd be intrested in them so ive heard some people like the 3rd and 4th. thanks a ton guys and especially the diy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts