Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D16y8 5 speed hydro transmission.

Does it matter which way the input shaft bearing is facing?
Plastic ring up or down? Does it make a difference?
I'm mostly curious if one side of the bearing sticks out further than the other?

Context- the old input shaft bearing completely disintegrated. I took the old one out and put the new one in with the part number on the bottom side exactly how the one I took out was. After putting it all back together and sealing the case, there is slack in the input shaft. It moves around 1/16th of an inch in and out. As if there's too much space between the bearing and input shaft like the input shaft washers aren't thick enough?

Excuse my ignorance. I'm still new to working on transmissions.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
metal cage doesn't care, plastic cage to the top. Did You left out the thrust washer or the 1mm spacer washer.

Also did you tear the case/shafts totally apart if it had a plastic cage.

Why I ask for pics all the time.

· Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,830 Posts
Did You left out the thrust washer or the 1mm spacer washer.
OP, this /\/\/\

There is a spring washer and a flat washer spacer that sits between input shaft 1st gear and the ISB bearing. If these are missing, this is likely your issue with the end play.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might be why it failed a second time. 96-00 trans ISB's came with metal cages as the plastic cage bearings are not compatible with Honda MTF.
I had a lot of issues finding the main shaft bearing. The ones autozone, Oreillys and Advanced would pull up were all the wrong sizes. I ended up just using the numbers off the old bearing casing and found one online.

Transmission came out of a super clapped out EK 2 door sedan with a Y8 motor. Hydro clutch and Obd2. I need to check the casting numbers and identify the transmission 100%

· Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,830 Posts
I had a lot of issues finding the main shaft bearing. The ones autozone, Oreillys and Advanced would pull up were all the wrong sizes. I ended up just using the numbers off the old bearing casing and found one online.

Transmission came out of a super clapped out EK 2 door sedan with a Y8 motor. Hydro clutch and Obd2. I need to check the casting numbers and identify the transmission 100%
Just call synchrotech transmissions. They'll get you the correct PN, probably sell you one too, as they likely have one on the shelf lol.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
Just call synchrotech transmissions. They'll get you the correct PN, probably sell you one too, as they likely have one on the shelf lol.
Britney or Andy will get it handled, if not they will put Dad (David) on the phone.

Also where ST gets bearings and kits from.....

Blue Gadget Goggles Packaging and labeling Audio equipment
Azure Font Gas Electric blue Rectangle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts