Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering how some of you have your inline pumps wired?
i have mine wired to the ignition and soon as the key is on the pump runs. you can hear the intank one prime and shut off but the inline keeps running and makes a weird noise like its struggling if i dont start the car right away.

im wondering if i should have it wired to the intake pump so it primes and shuts off like that one. or should i leave it the way it is now and just not let it run without the car running obv.

thannks guys

·
Registered
197 Posts
so?

~[stockrelay]====+====[Stockfuelpump]====+===[inlinepump]==~

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Put another relay between the stock relay and the fuel pumps; as Danz posted the stock relay just acts as a trigger for the new relay. This prevents it from drawing too much power and blowing a fuse.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
have both use the stock fuel pump wiring as a trigger for a relay.

they should both operate together at the same time... in unison
Put another relay between the stock relay and the fuel pumps; as Danz posted the stock relay just acts as a trigger for the new relay. This prevents it from drawing too much power and blowing a fuse.
this^^^

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so am i ok just changing the switched 12v source for the inline pump and wiring it to the switched 12v on the stock pump? instead of having the switched 12v coming from my ignition?
i think thats what you guys are saying.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Your inline pump doesn't need to be on all the time or at idle.What ems are you runing?

I have my pump hooked to a relay which is triggered by one of my ecus outputs to come on at 5 pounds of boost.When i'm not in boost, the pump is off.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
im not following what ur saying so ill just say what i said in different words.

you are going to take your power wire that goes to the stock fuel pump, and you are going to use that to TRIGGER a second relay. the second relay will run directly off the alternator, and go to each fuel pump...

the only thing the stock relay and wiring will be used for from now on is telling the new/second relay when to give power to the pumps.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Your inline pump doesn't need to be on all the time or at idle.What ems are you runing?

I have my pump hooked to a relay which is triggered by one of my ecus outputs to come on at 5 pounds of boost.When i'm not in boost the pumps off.
and before you take this advice you need to figure out weather you have a gear driven pump or a turbine pump. if its gear driven, it most certainly should be running all the time.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not following what ur saying so ill just say what i said in different words.

you are going to take your power wire that goes to the stock fuel pump, and you are going to use that to TRIGGER a second relay. the second relay will run directly off the alternator, and go to each fuel pump...

the only thing the stock relay and wiring will be used for from now on is telling the new/second relay when to give power to the pumps.
alright im going to try to say it back in my words hoping i understand haha

got the inline pump under the car.
relay for that pump is next to it.
i have a constant 12v wire with fuse ran to battery. (is this your alternator source?)
and there is a 12v switched wire off the inline pump relay. (run this to the TRIGGER source on the stock pump wiring? which should also be a 12v switched.)

or
you say the new/second relay to give power to the pumps. did you mean just the new inline pump or is that relay now telling both pumps to run? this is what confused me.
i have a walbro intank pump and bosch 044 inline
sorry if im confusing you. im just confused and trying to understand it. later if i havent understood it il just draw something on paint and see if i can get it

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright heres my poor attempt on making a diagram with paint. as you can tell i started off terrible and got a little better as i went on

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
and before you take this advice you need to figure out weather you have a gear driven pump or a turbine pump. if its gear driven, it most certainly should be running all the time.
If it's a walbro it's probably gear driven.I've put a bunch of miles on mine dd it with it in it's current configuration.I haven't had any issues so far and I was advised to set it up this way by Dave Blundell. Why would it need to always be on? The only reason I could think you could be getting at is it's hurting flow or cooling which doesn't make sense.

Bosstedsohc the diagram looks right

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks man.
and if the inline pump is not on and when the other pump primes it doesnt show any fuel pressure so the inline needs to be on. im going to have it set that ways anyways since its not a dd and it will need to be on most of the time anyways

·
Registered
1992 cx, 1995 dx
983 Posts
running both pumps would just heat up the fuel and put more pressure on the system to be honest and draw power for no reason.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
thanks man.
and if the inline pump is not on and when the other pump primes it doesnt show any fuel pressure so the inline needs to be on. im going to have it set that ways anyways since its not a dd and it will need to be on most of the time anyways
What pump are you running? I just assumed you were running an inline 225 walbro, sorry. Those are 100% designed to be flow through. I can run just my intank and I will get 65 psi as soon as it primes.If it doesn't and you are running a walbro something is wrong.

funny story .I was having trouble using ectunes output to get it to work under my conditions so i just set it to come on with a toggle switch as my input.Half the time I just didn't turn it on and I just drove around with it inline still fine since i was running off my wastegate spring and didn't really need the extra pressure.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks 2jz thats what i needed. im one of those people who can understand it a lot faster after i see it.
and cbuscivictuner i have a bosch 044 pump for the inline pump right now but just ordered a new walbro pump from greg just in case cause mine was leaking the other day. and fuel was not coming from the fittings or fuel line. im going to hold off on changing it till i can look at it closer and make sure its not for a fitting but i have one on the way just in case

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
learning

1 - 20 of 34 Posts