Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be a while before I came back with troubles..

Long story short, 94 Civix DX, stock d16z6, smallish turbo, adjustable FPR, DSM black tops and box, Walbro 255, bkr7e's and factory ignition system (wires, distributor, etc) tuned on ECTune.

The rundown -- was driving home today, car is at about a 1/4 tank of 93, let off the gas while braking because it seems to have developed a habit of puffing smoke during decel while in gear, didn't do it when it was freshly tuned; and the car died. Immediately started it back up, proceeded to run fine and drive as usual. About 10 minutes later I was accelerating and the car died completely. Wouldn't start back up, though I could hear fuel pump priming. After several attempts at starting the car, it finally fired and managed to get me home, all while running as if nothing had happened.

Haven't torn into it to try to diagnose it yet, came here to see if anybody has any recommendations as to what I ought to look for? My Wideband never give me any strange readings during running and the car never threw a CEL. It cranks fine, goes to start and it's like someone has just suffocated it, doesn't even try to idle. I will also note that when its hot (I live in Florida) and the car has run for 20 minutes or so I can hear the fuel pump whining hard, and in some instances while my blinkers are being used I can hear it fluctuating with the blinkers. Sometimes it will fluctuate at a normal idle.

Ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New symptom, fuel pump primes only when the key is turned as if you were starting the car, but not accessory on, CEL and ABS lights aren't working on accessory on either, only when the key is turned to actual start. Guessing this is indeed ignition related.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
First look at the ignition switch, then maybe the main relay. EG/EK are old enough where BOTH parts are starting to fail, but nobody ever believes it til they replace them.

To explain why it would prime on "start" but not "on", they use different contacts to power different main relay pins. "Start" runs the main relay directly, while "on" allows the ECU to activate the main relay. If one or both of the ignition switch contacts are bad, or either of the main relay pins/wires are bad, it will not prime in either/both key positions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, cool. I thought it odd that all of a sudden it wasn't priming like it normally did. I believe I've got an old main relay I pulled that was still functioning (preventative measures I take when I buy any type of Honda lol) that I'll give a whirl. Certainly cheaper than changing out the ignition switch.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
983 Posts
I had a similar problem ,no pump prime or dash lights in run position and occasional leave you on the side of the road .

the ignition switch contacts had worn away ..

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
easy way to tell if ignition wiring.

turn blinker (not hazards) on left or right. if it dies with car, its ignition wiring.

Did this on my car, solved hot stalls and stalls over bumpy roads. partially holding key towards starter position kept it running

pop sparkplugs out and check them over

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, gonna try and cram my big ass up under the dash to just confirm its the switch, having trouble finding the 7 pin connector that goes to the fuse block.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
pull the bottom steering cover off and look at back of ignition switch. follow wiring to plug.

unplug. do the test for continuity between key positions. if it doesnt work, wiggle key around. if it then works fine, hit up ebay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couldn't find 7 pin connector because zip ties and electrical tape, SMFH. Antique car alarm wiring had it hidden.

Checked continuity and wouldn't you know it? Switch is bad. Got one coming asap. Thanks again folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts