Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members,
I'm a bit confused about two JDM D15B engines i have and need some more information about them. So both are vtec engines but have different pistons. The first one has a set of P08 pistons and the seccond one P07 pistons wich are very different (deper dish). I know there are two different vtec heads/cams, the normal 2 and a 3-stage (eco) head/cam. I pulled the head of the bottomend with the p07 pistons and the camshaft looks like a normal 2 stage. I did not se the head of the other bottomend, but know it had vtec.
Hopefully some of you guys know a bit more about these two engines.

I added some pictures of the two bottomends and camshaft.

P08 bottomend.

P07 bottomend.

The cam i pulled from the head of the P07 bottomend.

Stamped: B132

Kind regards,
Ferdinand

·
Registered
35 Posts
D15Z1 is no 3-stage-VTEC, it's just VTEC-E. D15Z7 and 96-00 JDM D15B are 3-stage (I think I remember they both have P2J pistons, but not 100% sure).

The cam from the P07 bottom end looks like a "normal" VTEC cam to me, similar to the Z6 or Y8. If I recall correctly, there are also "earlier" engines called D15B of which one's got the normal VTEC and one is without any. They don't seem to have taken that engine code thing very serious in Japan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D15Z1 is no 3-stage-VTEC, it's just VTEC-E. D15Z7 and 96-00 JDM D15B are 3-stage (I think I remember they both have P2J pistons, but not 100% sure).

The cam from the P07 bottom end looks like a "normal" VTEC cam to me, similar to the Z6 or Y8. If I recall correctly, there are also "earlier" engines called D15B of which one's got the normal VTEC and one is without any. They don't seem to have taken that engine code thing very serious in Japan.
It's a normal cam indeed, head code is P08 so it's a D15B vtec head (no 3-stage). It's still stange that the bottomend has P07 pistons in it...

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Both block stamps say d15b?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Well I haven't heard of any d15b using p07 pistons, someone may have used the d15b in place of a d15z1 block and used the p07 pistons or entire rotating assembly. The only 3 stage vtec system on d15b uses 2 vtec solenoids. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the valvetrain between vtec e, d15z1, and normal vtec.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I haven't heard of any d15b using p07 pistons, someone may have used the d15b in place of a d15z1 block and used the p07 pistons or entire rotating assembly. The only 3 stage vtec system on d15b uses 2 vtec solenoids. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the valvetrain between vtec e, d15z1, and normal vtec.
Thats why i dont understand there are P07 pistons in the bottomend and a p08 head with a normal vtec option and no dual solenoids. there is a difference in the vlave train between the 3 stage and normal vtec heads.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
I did not mention the 3 stage head, read again. Best thing you can do is measure the crankshaft journals to find out which d15b crank you have and go from there.

Reactions: transzex
1 - 10 of 10 Posts