Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inequality for All

Im sure a few of you have NetFlix but Im just suggesting this documentary for people to understand what is happening in 'Merica and why people have to work 2 jobs just to pay rent.

This is an eye opening experience for those who are working their asses off just to get by. As this documentary points out, Its all big money corporations and politics. This is fight for the middle class people which are dwindling to povery.

Lets just say this movie motivated me to post this thread to share to all of you.
TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9REdcxfie3M

inequalityforall.com

And like I said, Its on Netflix and maybe with some savvy searching one can find it for free.

Edit: On the site theres a link to sign a petition to raise the minimum wage to 15/hr

Before you people state your opinions, Watch the film so you may educate yourself. The person who made this documentary was responsible for the best US economy in the past 30 years. Secretary of Labor under Clinton

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Raising minimum wage to 15 an hour is dumb. Raising minimum wage just increases the expenses of all things and puts a strain on small businesses. This is just going to deflate the value of the us dollar if it passes ill be sure to invest all my cash to gold that way ill have some return as we continue to destroy our economy.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After watching the documentary, then come back and state your opinion.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you state your opinion, Watch the film so you may educate yourself. The person who made this documentary was responsible for the best US economy in the past 30 years.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Raising minimum wage to 15 an hour is dumb. Raising minimum wage just increases the expenses of all things and puts a strain on small businesses. This is just going to deflate the value of the us dollar if it passes ill be sure to invest all my cash to gold that way ill have some return as we continue to destroy our economy.
You could have been more effective stating truth like this:

One effect of increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour will be to squeeze the middle class by effectively broadening the lower-tier wage demographic, ultimately accelerating the building trend toward a two-tiered economy — the working class and the rich — that effectively eliminates the middle class from the equation. This, in turn, will insure that large segments of the U.S. population will be ever more dependent on government support.

Like many well-intentioned programs, the federal minimum wage was initially designed to prevent employer abuses and not to ensure income equality or to drive economic expansion. The core issue today is not increasing the minimum wage. Instead, the key problem facing the country is the now nearly complete lack of upward mobility for those who are stuck in the minimum wage trap at whatever wage level that trap is set.

Read more at Labor Day dilemma: Minimum wage for some vs. living wage for all | Communities Digital News

Bringing up gold has no merit, and takes you out of the argument if a smart person walks in the room.

K i will. Should i wear a kony 2012 shirt while i watch it?
How does Africa have anything to do with this? Making me rethink your brain.

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
You could have been more effective stating truth like this:

One effect of increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour will be to squeeze the middle class by effectively broadening the lower-tier wage demographic, ultimately accelerating the building trend toward a two-tiered economy — the working class and the rich — that effectively eliminates the middle class from the equation. This, in turn, will insure that large segments of the U.S. population will be ever more dependent on government support.

Like many well-intentioned programs, the federal minimum wage was initially designed to prevent employer abuses and not to ensure income equality or to drive economic expansion. The core issue today is not increasing the minimum wage. Instead, the key problem facing the country is the now nearly complete lack of upward mobility for those who are stuck in the minimum wage trap at whatever wage level that trap is set.

Read more at Labor Day dilemma: Minimum wage for some vs. living wage for all | Communities Digital News

Bringing up gold has no merit, and takes you out of the argument if a smart person walks in the room.

How does Africa have anything to do with this? Making me rethink your brain.
Kony was a viral video scam then stirred public opinions which was my comparision.
Gold holds its value and has for centuries while the dollar continues to deflate.
These are just my opinions about the matter ill watch this later when im off work and post again.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
528 Posts

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK I see some people arent going to watch the video and have a discussion and bring in a small part of what this thread is about. This is about Inequality. Not minimum wages not capitolism directly. Its about inequality of the middle class.

If you want to start your own thread about minimum wages, by all means.
If you want to watch the vid in original post and then discuss your feeling ITT then thats fine too.

After watching the documentary, then come back and state your opinion.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
This has been disproven. Seattle already did it and contrary to business owners initial predictions that they'd have to fire people, they're struggling to keep up with demand for their services. Funny how when you put more buying power into the hands of the people doing the most buying ... the economy grows.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This has been disproven. Seattle already did it and contrary to business owners initial predictions that they'd have to fire people, they're struggling to keep up with demand for their services. Funny how when you put more buying power into the hands of the people doing the most buying ... the economy grows.
the problem is the delicate balance. I am certainly against the race to the bottom of wages. At the same time however, we need to make sure that we don't end up vastly devaluing the dollar as more enter into circulation. i would be less worried about jobs being lost and instead the value of the money go down again.

also, this is still another band-aid fix to some degree. Yes, eventually machines will take over a lot of the lower paying jobs. as a society we need to fix a few mindsets about labor and working. In America we work harder and have less free time than 90% of the other industrialized nations on the earth, yet here we are having a debate about the working poor. There was a billionaire (i know not exactly the most trustworthy source, but i think he is on point here) that talked about making the work week shorter or lowering hours etc that still would count as full time for those benefits. The reasoning is that allowing people more free time leads to net gains in productivity and would work to stimulate the economy because then people would have the free time to turn their passions into streams of revenue, much like some places in Europe have done. little example, how many of you have wanted to design something and fab it for the cars that would totally sell, if only you could get the free time to see it through...

we also need to adjust the stigma of some jobs in America. A case in point is that a waiter/server in many other countries is considered a perfectly respectable profession, same with maids etc. somewhere along the way we lost that and I think that is a shame because then we go ahead and race it to the bottom.

sorry for the long post, yes i'm watching the documentary now, i dig this sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
the problem is the delicate balance. I am certainly against the race to the bottom of wages. At the same time however, we need to make sure that we don't end up vastly devaluing the dollar as more enter into circulation. i would be less worried about jobs being lost and instead the value of the money go down again.

also, this is still another band-aid fix to some degree. Yes, eventually machines will take over a lot of the lower paying jobs. as a society we need to fix a few mindsets about labor and working. In America we work harder and have less free time than 90% of the other industrialized nations on the earth, yet here we are having a debate about the working poor. There was a billionaire (i know not exactly the most trustworthy source, but i think he is on point here) that talked about making the work week shorter or lowering hours etc that still would count as full time for those benefits. The reasoning is that allowing people more free time leads to net gains in productivity and would work to stimulate the economy because then people would have the free time to turn their passions into streams of revenue, much like some places in Europe have done. little example, how many of you have wanted to design something and fab it for the cars that would totally sell, if only you could get the free time to see it through...

we also need to adjust the stigma of some jobs in America. A case in point is that a waiter/server in many other countries is considered a perfectly respectable profession, same with maids etc. somewhere along the way we lost that and I think that is a shame because then we go ahead and race it to the bottom.

sorry for the long post, yes i'm watching the documentary now, i dig this sort of thing.
I will concede the point that it is a band aid. But at the same time no one should have to work two jobs.

Your point about the shorter work week is a valid one. There have been a few companies that have tried that and they saw production either stay the same or increase. I believe they did some sort of experiment shortening swing and graveyard shifts to six hours and paying them the same as if they worked 8. Worker satisfaction went up, production went up, company ended up profiting. I've heard of a couple of other places (sorry can't remember any specifics at the moment) that have tried similar things ... all to the benefit of the workers and the company.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Before I watch this......

Lets just say IMHO most people, esp. lower wage earners are living outside of their means. I mean look at some of their cars and big screen TV's, NEW phones, etc.

"Trying to keep up with the Jones's"

Lack of nutrition from eating too cheaply increase health cost and diabetes in lower income people. But the people (more single parent families now) are working longer to make ends meet which ends up with less family time.

PS: Both sides of my family came from the poorest region of Ohio, southeastern area, each of Appalachia.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Live better. Work union.
i call bullshit, cause i've seen many job get run off cause of the union. granted when the union was devised it stood for a great purpose and now it has become like any other business.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Before I watch this......

Lets just say IMHO most people, esp. lower wage earners are living outside of their means. I mean look at some of their cars and big screen TV's, NEW phones, etc.

"Trying to keep up with the Jones's"

Lack of nutrition from eating too cheaply increase health cost and diabetes in lower income people. But the people (more single parent families now) are working longer to make ends meet which ends up with less family time.

PS: Both sides of my family came from the poorest region of Ohio, southeastern area, each of Appalachia.
Getting the doc now, but I agree with bones. Where I live and where my wife works we both see it everyday. She is a high school teacher at a decent school. But she still has a few students that are on free lunch and government assistance. Some of those students have the latest shoes, very nice cloths, iphone 5, etc, etc, but then turn around and tell her they can't afford school supplies....

I see the same thing in my line of work. In fact have co worker who is trying to play the jones with me right now. I have a 55" TV, he goes out and buys a 60" and a ps4. I go on a trip to Busch Gardens, He goes to Busch Gardens and Water Country. Needless to say , while I can afford to live the lifestyle I live, he is now 2K+ in debt on his CC and having to take out a personal loan to be able to afford to pay it off.

The problem the country faces right now is multifaceted. Speaking from personal experience not all people that work minimum wage jobs really want to move up their economic or social statuses. Some are perfectly content with sitting at the bottom, making little to no money, having the government subsidize their incomes and still buying whatever they see fit, like newest phones, new cars, etc etc.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts