Honda D Series Forum banner

Individual Coil Packs

18K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  CRX1.4DualCarb 
#1 ·
So, i noticed the D17's have individual coil packs. Would there be any way to adapt this system to the D15/16?

What kind of gains would this produce, if any?

I searched but really couldn't find much info.

#2 ·
Well, there is little to no info on this subject here in the Honda community...

but it probebley WELL gain you some horsepower, probebley a more smoother power band and some MPG...

top-end is where you'll notice a diffrence because of previos missfires caused by the stock ignition system.

you'll at least need a standalone like the AEM EMS(it has 4 ignition outputs i belive or more), or if you are DIY minded you can build your own board standalone system like MegaSquirt...

#5 ·
it really won't do either.. in my experience with doing this mod on dsms, it eliminates the need for spark plug wires and it looks cool. thats about it. but dsms have coil packs i don't know how it would work on a regular d's with their dizzy

#3 ·
im pretty sure there is a LOOONG tech thread on HT about individual coil packs.

it would be great if someone DIY'ed them and was able to post results.

best of luck if you take on the project,
-Luke

#7 · (Edited)
CBR's fit perfectly but then you have to buy special screw tip spark plugs. Pretty much limits you to Bosch or Denso Iridiums. NGK doesn't make anything for them. Some Autolites.

Besides the AEM EMS and a competent tuner/installer, you need the MSD DIS2 (for waste spark). You could also use AEM's "Twin Spark".

It's not something you do purely for peak hp gain. But it allows you complete flexibility in tuning the ignition timing. Increases reliability w/out question, decreases the need for maintenance parts (cap, rotor, wires) which start to degrade the moment you install them. It's great for high RPM's where a single coil starts to choke up because it doesn't have enough time to charge. It's also great for high boost that has a tendency to blow out the spark.

I will be converting to distributor-less at some point, as I already have the EMS and the aforementioned MSD box. But don't hold your breath.

#9 ·
It's not something you do purely for peak hp gain. But it allows you complete flexibility in tuning the ignition timing. Increases reliability w/out question, decreases the need for maintenance parts (cap, rotor, wires) which start to degrade the moment you install them.
X2

Reactions: Acid X
#10 ·
a buddy of mine is running cbr coils,denso iridium plugs, motec m4, on a 825 hp gsr powered civic hatch it has a rather large garrret turbo with a 5'' down tube

you oughtta see the crank sensor, it is on the exhaust cam wheel, but the way he has it mounted is badass, and looks factory

#15 ·
Hmm, so in essence there wouldn't much to gain from the coil packs for the cost of everything then?

Sure, tunability, but i dont think you need too much ignition control when not boosting, or without super high compression..

But glad to know that someone is attempting this. :) Rep for all!

#16 · (Edited)
here you go....

http://www.tunerzine.com/articles.asp?id=103

and that's HIS junkyard.....
honda heaven FTW......!

he has since changed to a top mount, that turbo i mentioned, cut 1.5'' off the wheel arch's, and had a better tune put on....

look ma, no distributor......

#24 ·
YAY!!!..... I mean, GAY!!!!

I dont see a point in a COP setup on a honda other than the mechanics/dealer making more money when they go bad. 95% of this board doesnt push the factory ignition past it limit then the last 5% cant find the limit on a MSD igniton setup or similar nevermind a COP setup.

Besides... thats lost time/money on a COP setup when you could be investing somewhere else and make more power for less.

#25 ·
COP.. yea, might be a bit expensive for what you get. But its cool =D

Using the cam trigger ignition setup, which a lot of people do when going COP is where the gains are at.. You get a MUCH more sensitive timing signal to the ECU, which gives you better control over the ignition. From what I've heard, it smooths out the idle a bit right off the bat.

#26 ·
If you want to do a COP setup, the D17 ones are a poor choice. They are considered "Low Power" style packs compared to the capacitive discharge style ones (CBR, etc). The cam trigger setup is the most expensive part.

Alternatively, you can gut the dizzy with the exception of the sensors, and make a small logic board that sends the signal to the proper plug. Fairly easy for someone with some electronics experience.

#28 ·
hey this is what COP should look like:
Seriously, if I posted my mod list for my car it'd be so long no-one would read it. Here's a pic though!
would have been hard to cover up the wire but if we would have it would look even more baller

#29 ·
Looks?! Who cares?!

I do it purely for the increase in reliability and simplification of maintenance (and I already have the AEM EMS, so I'm halfway there). No more distributer, (one large) coil, (puny) ignitor, cap, rotor, plug wires to go out on you. Even when they're not technically bad, you have to replace them because they begin to decrease in performance from the moment you start the engine.

There is much more to life than peak hp gain.

#30 ·
see this post two post up from yours:

If you want to do a COP setup, the D17 ones are a poor choice. They are considered "Low Power" style packs compared to the capacitive discharge style ones (CBR, etc). The cam trigger setup is the most expensive part.

#38 ·

i don't know man... don't really look like d17s to me.. the top ones are more squarish while the bottom ones are ovalish.. i went online and looked pics of a lot of d17s and i am convinced those aren't d17 cop...

#32 · (Edited)
^ wow self ownage.... after looking at this again I realized the top ones were the cbr... the bottom ones aren't d17 COP though... they actually look a lot like DSM COP

#37 ·
the bottom ones aren't d17 COP though... they actually look a lot like DSM COP
Trust me, those are how the D17s look; my cousin has a D17 Civic.\

There are other cars using large individual or waste-fire dual coils on Hondas. To me, on a street car or NA probably not worth it. Hell, I believe the fastest current Honda(Eggum's Civic), runs a regular distributor.

#33 ·
Ok, so on a D engine cbr, d17, and probably dsm COP will fit, but what about the cam trigger setup?

Can the d17 sensor be used? Where does it reads the angle? From the cam or from the crank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.