Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Why two?
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i noticed the D17's have individual coil packs. Would there be any way to adapt this system to the D15/16?

What kind of gains would this produce, if any?

I searched but really couldn't find much info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, there is little to no info on this subject here in the Honda community...

but it probebley WELL gain you some horsepower, probebley a more smoother power band and some MPG...

top-end is where you'll notice a diffrence because of previos missfires caused by the stock ignition system.

you'll at least need a standalone like the AEM EMS(it has 4 ignition outputs i belive or more), or if you are DIY minded you can build your own board standalone system like MegaSquirt...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
im pretty sure there is a LOOONG tech thread on HT about individual coil packs.

it would be great if someone DIY'ed them and was able to post results.

best of luck if you take on the project,
-Luke

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
There's been people using the CBR coil packs, probably the same as D17. Don't think you'll see much gains at all unless you're engine is pretty built.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well, there is little to no info on this subject here in the Honda community...

but it probebley WELL gain you some horsepower, probebley a more smoother power band and some MPG...

top-end is where you'll notice a diffrence because of previos missfires caused by the stock ignition system.

you'll at least need a standalone like the AEM EMS(it has 4 ignition outputs i belive or more), or if you are DIY minded you can build your own board standalone system like MegaSquirt...
it really won't do either.. in my experience with doing this mod on dsms, it eliminates the need for spark plug wires and it looks cool. thats about it. but dsms have coil packs i don't know how it would work on a regular d's with their dizzy

·
Registered
107 Posts
CBR's fit perfectly but then you have to buy special screw tip spark plugs. Pretty much limits you to Bosch or Denso Iridiums. NGK doesn't make anything for them. Some Autolites.

Besides the AEM EMS and a competent tuner/installer, you need the MSD DIS2 (for waste spark). You could also use AEM's "Twin Spark".

It's not something you do purely for peak hp gain. But it allows you complete flexibility in tuning the ignition timing. Increases reliability w/out question, decreases the need for maintenance parts (cap, rotor, wires) which start to degrade the moment you install them. It's great for high RPM's where a single coil starts to choke up because it doesn't have enough time to charge. It's also great for high boost that has a tendency to blow out the spark.

I will be converting to distributor-less at some point, as I already have the EMS and the aforementioned MSD box. But don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I believe there is a member or two on her that has a set in operation. I've seen their pics floating around here somewhere.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's not something you do purely for peak hp gain. But it allows you complete flexibility in tuning the ignition timing. Increases reliability w/out question, decreases the need for maintenance parts (cap, rotor, wires) which start to degrade the moment you install them.
X2

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
a buddy of mine is running cbr coils,denso iridium plugs, motec m4, on a 825 hp gsr powered civic hatch it has a rather large garrret turbo with a 5'' down tube

you oughtta see the crank sensor, it is on the exhaust cam wheel, but the way he has it mounted is badass, and looks factory

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
a buddy of mine is running cbr coils,denso iridium plugs, motec m4, on a 825 hp gsr powered civic hatch it has a rather large garrret turbo with a 5'' down tube

you oughtta see the crank sensor, it is on the exhaust cam wheel, but the way he has it mounted is badass, and looks factory

pics or neg rep

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts

yea seriously mang, i wanna see this.. I plan on getting one myself, and ditching the distributor all together. Gotta make room for that sidewinder manifold ;)

AFAIK it just bolts to the front of the motor, right? and then you got that big ol cable sticking out.. I wanna see about mounting it to the intake cam, and hiding it a lil better..

·
Registered
Why two?
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, so in essence there wouldn't much to gain from the coil packs for the cost of everything then?

Sure, tunability, but i dont think you need too much ignition control when not boosting, or without super high compression..

But glad to know that someone is attempting this. :) Rep for all!

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
here you go....

http://www.tunerzine.com/articles.asp?id=103

and that's HIS junkyard.....
honda heaven FTW......!

he has since changed to a top mount, that turbo i mentioned, cut 1.5'' off the wheel arch's, and had a better tune put on....

look ma, no distributor......

1 - 20 of 57 Posts