Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered what made certain cars' turbo spooling sound so loud while others are not. I thought it was purely the intake, but every intake I've had on my turbo has been a metal tube with a cone style filter...but I cant hear the turbo over the engine/exhaust sounds. (my exhaust is 2.5" diameter with a dynamax turbo style muffler)

I also thought it was because I used a small turbo (.42/.48 T3), but my bigger ebay turbo made even less noise.

So, what dictates how loud turbo spool is? I dont need a loud spooling turbo, but my inner ricer wants it! And no, I dont care as much about the BOV sound. That was cool for me when I first went turbo years ago, lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just 2.5" piping I welded together. Should I have used a bigger size to increase the sound?

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
3,890 Posts
route the intake to the outside in front of the driver and passenger door like im my peterbilt

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Sell the ebay turbo and buy an hx35 .....once mine starts spooling it sounds like a f-in jet engine....as for filter, I'm running just a peice of aluminum window screen..... also 3" downpipe to 3" ebay exhaust

·
Registered
861 Posts
my ebay turbo made alot of noise when i had the exhaust by just short after the pan, after i put full exhaust it changed it up alot i couldn't hear it at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The loudness of the spool is mostly caused by the "blade desing" of the compressor
ie. Borg Warner blade desings are EXTREMELY LOUD! (specially the EFR Series) you can easily mistake the spool to an airplane ready to take off LOL!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The speed has a lot to do with it.
If you have your wastegate signal line connected to the intake manifold and try spooling the turbo with a very low throttle opening and you'll hear the turbo scream, as its having to run at a very high RPM to offset the pressure drop across the throttle.
Of course this is why I recommend putting the wastegate signal on the cold side charge piping, as this partial throttle spooling could over-rev the turbo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good info guys. I'm going back to my small t3, so I'll have a chance to re-work some things and see what I can do. thanx again.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
If you have your wastegate signal line connected to the intake manifold and try spooling the turbo with a very low throttle opening and you'll hear the turbo scream, as its having to run at a very high RPM to offset the pressure drop across the throttle.
Of course this is why I recommend putting the wastegate signal on the cold side charge piping, as this partial throttle spooling could over-rev the turbo.
im not sure if i agree with that, as long as the pressures are correct then it should be spinning within normal boundary's Shit full spool has to be spinning faster than at partial throttle.

I guess the only way to know is to hook up a boost gauge to just before the throttle body and see what kinds of pressures your seeing.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
519 Posts
My TD04 from a WRX was loud. Just a air filter on the inlet, 2.5" Exhaust with resonator and muffler. It didn't have a high pitched wine just made a loud sucking sound.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i used to have a full 3" exhaust system on my 420a eclipse w/ a t3/t4 and the turbo was relatively quite with a solid exhaust sound. I changed to a 3" custom pipe with a borla x1 muffler that exits right in front of the front wheel...my car sounds like a diesel now no lie...all you hear is turbo it seems. Even a slight blip in the throttle makes a whole lot of turbo whirl...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Turbo's at full boost can spin upwards of 100k Rpms.....*skepticism in voice* I HIGHLY doubt, that at a light load with boost reference coming from manifold the turbo would "over rev".......

Can you show some sort of info on a turbo actually "over revving", besides just being out of its efficiency range for boost?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts