Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm doing a d16z6 minime, i'm going with turbo, and i just wanted to know the order that i should do things. i.e, exhaust, building the bottom end, expanding on the minime....any subjestions will help, thanx in advance :)

·
0 Posts
What motor did you have with the Z6 head? If you didnt get the z6 Intake manifold, and tranny I would reccomend those first, along with a good I/H/E combo. That should set you for a while. I would then get an Exospeed cam. And maybe a stage 1 clutch of some kind. Then when you get your turbo installed, if you look for runnin more than 8-10 psi, then rebuild the bottom end. Even without the rebuit bottom end you will be making some good power. Hope this helps.

A

·
0 Posts
Ok, here are my oppinions. I have a little experience with mini-me swaps, only a little though. I have never done one, but i used to work in a speed shop. Alot of people would call or bring there cars by with mini-me problems. We would not touch them. I have no idea why there were so many troublesome mini-me's, but there were. I dont know if they were done incorectly or just troublesome. From this experience i would always recomend not doing a mini-me. But thats just my recomendation.

What motor do you have now?
What is you HP goal?

I do have a v-tec but i have worked on many non v-tecs. v-tec isnt everything. If your goal is 200-250 hp, you will have no problems reaching it with a non v-tec.

You can easily make up fo v-tec with some minor work. A mild head port job along with a more agressive came would be a good start. Also, a new intake manifold and throttle body would help also. dh-racing.com makes a nice package. Also, they will make the manifold around your motor. If you tell them yuo are going turbo, they will make a larger plenum and shorter runners for optimal turbo power band.

With these few parts, you are now close to the power of a z6. but with the relyability of a stock motor. Add about 10psi from turbo like a 16 g or t-28 and you are close to the 200hp mark.

of course you have to upgrade fuel, computer, ect. But i would not knock your non v-tec.

THis is just my oppions from my experiences.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think that i'm just going to drop about 2-3k into building it up to turbo(taxes :lol: ) but i do want to minime, i don't have a head for it yet, but i want to go z6, but people are telling me to go y8, what's the difference???? :?

A

·
0 Posts
The y8 head is a newer design. The major differences are the quench pads and the intake port design. The quench pads (y8) will raise the compression a little, but will also help stop detonation.

The intake ports in a y8 head are curved. this was done by honda for fuel economy. but the problem here is that the head is very hard to port. the curved ports do help fuel economy, but when turbo, they dont make as much power as the z6 strait ports. You can somewhat straiten the y8 ports, but you MUST know what you are doing. It is very easy to ruin a head.

Is the HP difference major between the z6 and y8?
In my experience, no. The y8 will make about 5-10 hp less then the z6 at high boost (20psi on t3/t4 stage 3 wheel). But the quench pads are well worth the 5-10 hp loss.

some people say you can loose as much as 30 hp when switching from a z6 to a y8. From my experience, i see this to be false.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
AudioMan said:
The intake ports in a y8 head are curved. this was done by honda for fuel economy. but the problem here is that the head is very hard to port. the curved ports do help fuel economy, but when turbo, they dont make as much power as the z6 strait ports. You can somewhat straiten the y8 ports, but you MUST know what you are doing. It is very easy to ruin a head.

Is the HP difference major between the z6 and y8?
In my experience, no. The y8 will make about 5-10 hp less then the z6 at high boost (20psi on t3/t4 stage 3 wheel). But the quench pads are well worth the 5-10 hp loss.
To expand on this a bit. Zexman on the old d-series.org ran a ported y8 head vs z6 head and the z6 head made significantly more power up top than the y8 head. *HOWEVER* the y8 head made 40whp more in the midrange than the z6 head. It is also important to note that Zexman was also running a 400whp setup.

A

·
0 Posts
ya know, i just found that post. That was before i joined this forum. I never read it before. It had alot of info. From experience, almost everything in that thread was true. I found the power difference not to be true.

I have built about 5 z6 motors and about 4 y8 motors to over 300whp. Now, i dont work at the shop where i did this anymore, so i cant post the dyno sheets to back this up, but i did not see that drastic of a power difference. Yes, from what i remember, the y8's did have more midrange power, but only like 5-10hp, not 40. And up top, the y8's did make less power, but also not too significant.

I dont know who here is wrong, me or him, but there are alot of factors that can make a difference. he did say that both of his heads, z6 and y8 were ported and polished. maybe the z6 head was ported exceptionally well compared to the y8 or maybe the y8 head was ported incorectly. I dont know. Im just guessing here.

I guess, what i am saying is, who knows what head is better. if you go by zexmans experiences, the z6 head is better, if you go by my experiences, the y8 head is better, because of the quench pads. in zexmans case the quenchpads are not worth the significant hp loss up top.

A

·
0 Posts
i was just thinking about an answer for you on which one is better, and i think both are just as good. With the proper parts and proper tuning, i think you will get just about the same power from both heads. Now it comes down to which head you can get for cheaper. Probably the z6 head. I would reccomend using the y8 intake manifold on the z6 head, it flows alot better then the z6 mani. Make sure you get the manual intake manifold and throttle body the iacv is different than the automatic.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
what I would really like to know is at what power level is the z6 a better option than the y8 and also what rpm range does the straight ports in the z6 really make a difference.

Curious because people throw around absolute numbers for full race setups and what is good for full race might be irrelevant for street purposes.

A

·
0 Posts
This thread got me thinking. I am going to try to make a comarison between the two. i think that i might do sort of a write up of the strength and weaknesses between the two. I am going to go back to my old job and get some dyno sheets for each motor, hopefully both high boost and low boost.

This way i can have some concrete evidence of the advantages/ disadvantages, and not just do it from memory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts