Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if this will work i recently had the oil pump go on my wife on the highway and now the motor is knocking. So i aquired a d15z1 engine, but the head is apart from the block but good, i am wondering if the head off of my stock d15b engine will work with the d15z1 block being that my car doesnt have v-tec? If not what will i need to do to swap the full d15z1 into the car ecu, wiring problems ect and what tranny will i need will my old one bolt up to this engine?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Short answer, no.

I'm confused on exactly what useable parts you have to work with and what chassis you are trying to get running.

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 1993 hatch, auto transmission, i have a complete block and the head just has to be reassembled, on the stock d15b i think the head is good but the engine is knocking and wont stay running, the knicking sound is coming fromt he block and nothe the head so thats why im assuming its good. But you know what assuming gets you,lol. im just wondering what i will need to make the d15z1 work or if i can use the head off of my d15b to eliminate v-tec?

·
Registered
495 Posts
With what you have said at least replace the bearings, redo the crank and rods and line hone the block for starters. You really need to dissassemble the engine and inspect everything. Got a service manual for each assembly you are working with?

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i do have one, but my overall goal here is to just do a swap to the d15z1 because i have the motor already and it will be cheaper, so im wondering what i will need to swap that over into the car, ecu tranny ect?

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ty, i was really hoping the the head off of my stock d15b would go onto this motor and work so i wouldnt have to worry about vtech

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the z1 has very big dished piston so the d15b? head will lower thw comp of the z1 to around 7.5 to 8:1 to low and the z1 in front of auto trans is a megaturd. i think your best bet would be to tear the d15b down and see if the rods and pistons are still useable and put them in the z1 block and put the d15b head on it or find a used set of d15b? rods and pistons to put in the z1

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how would the z1 on a p28 ecu or the stock p07 ecu work with an auto trans if i kept the orginal head on it and ran vtec

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
cant use the p07 cause its a 5spd ecu they never put a z1 in an auto. if you use the p28 it will have to be chipped and vtec set at like 2500 cause thats were the z1 goes into vtec. on the best day ever a z1 is only 90 hp at the crank so your lucky to get 75 to the ground. i had one in and auto and it was a giant turd.

·
Registered
Civic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i c im not too worried about it just cause its the wifes car and a daily driver, the gas mileage should be good though right

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
mine was ok but not good cause you will see that you have to run the piss out of it to get any were in town is the worst but on the highway its not to bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts