Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is removing the flash from the intake ports a good idea? I read that making them too smooth is bad for atomizing and I read that it doesn't make a difference.

I'm also going to get a b-series throttle body and port match the manifold for that.

Is there anything else I can do to the stock manifold to improve it?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time on the larger TB. Your engine currently doesn't outflow the stock TB, and will likely not ever outflow the stock TB.

The only thing a larger TB will net you is less resolution in throttle application/modulation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing a larger TB will net you is less resolution in throttle application/modulation.
I don't understand this last part. Would that be a bad thing?

This would be more for a learning experience than anything. I didn't think the bigger throttle body would do much. If it will hurt performance I won't do it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you really want to do something to the mani...i would hone it and do the TB swap u speak of...i did this to my z6 and couldnt tell a difference...so unless u have major work i wouldnt waste my time...

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I don't understand this last part. Would that be a bad thing?

This would be more for a learning experience than anything. I didn't think the bigger throttle body would do much. If it will hurt performance I won't do it.
It's not going to hurt anything, but your engine can only pull in so much air.

The comment about less resolution is regarding that beyond a certain angle of the throttle blade, the plenum can't hold more air and engine can't ingest more air, so you will essentially go to full throttle sooner, even though there is still more blade/pedal travel. As such, you have less control over how much air is going into the engine because you now have less pedal to work with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not going to hurt anything, but your engine can only pull in so much air.

The comment about less resolution is regarding that beyond a certain angle of the throttle blade, the plenum can't hold more air and engine can't ingest more air, so you will essentially go to full throttle sooner, even though there is still more blade/pedal travel. As such, you have less control over how much air is going into the engine because you now have less pedal to work with.
Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thank you

I assume the same is true for a y8 manifold? The plenum is designed to already hold the maximum amount of air possible so same theory

·
Registered
50 Posts
I read that making them too smooth is bad for atomizing and I read that it doesn't make a difference.
There's probably little to no amount of atomized fuel in the intake manifold with this fuel injection setup unless you have some decent reversion.

I guess during the wave periods when the intake valve closes and the wave is created coming back up the intake tract?

Either way, while I think polishing is waste of time, it's not going to cause fuel to come out of suspension like a carb setup would

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
you can cut open the manifold and blend the runners but this would only be really benificial on either a boosted setup or a high revving motor.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
My b7 intake, z6 TB, z6 Dizzy and y8 work well, its the cheap header I need to decide on, my exhaust ports are smaller then my header so no need to port match, havent looked at the b7 intake to y8 head yet.

I would run stock unless you are going balls deep and the engine can pull more air in to use.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Agree with everyone else. On a stock motor any gains, even from a proper "race" IM, are going to be marginal at best. In stock form the engine can only take in so much air. If you want to get a bit more power/VE a properly designed ram air set up can net you some gains ... by this I mean not a CAI or other any of the e-bay crap (you can actually get positive pressure if it's done right), however these will most likely be marginal as well, especially given stock tuning.

Individual pieces only do so much on their own ... you have to design the system to every piece works together, synergy is the name of the game. I've heard of several people going with the b-series TB on stock Ds and ditching them right quick because of the fact that only 2/3 - 3/4 of their throttle movement matters any more.

What are your plans for the car?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Just get a stage 2 cam, and a Skunk2 intake manifold, and tune.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
Port matching the TB to intake is bad, need that step.

Teg TB, Y8 intake, on my D16A6/Y8 and it can be touchy, esp. holding speed for best MPG.

Gude TB and intake I used a few years ago, you can see the cause of idle issue I was having with the TB....

D15Baby8 by bonespec | Photobucket

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree with everyone else. On a stock motor any gains, even from a proper "race" IM, are going to be marginal at best. In stock form the engine can only take in so much air. If you want to get a bit more power/VE a properly designed ram air set up can net you some gains ... by this I mean not a CAI or other any of the e-bay crap (you can actually get positive pressure if it's done right), however these will most likely be marginal as well, especially given stock tuning.

Individual pieces only do so much on their own ... you have to design the system to every piece works together, synergy is the name of the game. I've heard of several people going with the b-series TB on stock Ds and ditching them right quick because of the fact that only 2/3 - 3/4 of their throttle movement matters any more.

What are your plans for the car?
What kind of ram air setup? Can you give me an example.

My plans are to turbo. I have a garrett T25 that I'm building a setup around.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
What kind of ram air setup? Can you give me an example.

My plans are to turbo. I have a garrett T25 that I'm building a setup around.
Ah the plot thickens. My initial assessment was based on a stock or near stock set up.

On a turbo set up you would likely see some benefit from a larger throttle body.

Alas I have no examples of the ram air/positive pressure N/A set ups. I just remember some discussion around it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
id leave it alone. a z6 manifold overall flows the best out of all d16 intake manis.

only reason to upgrade is if your making power in the 140whp range.

stratton.

·
Registered
152 Posts
then i would simple clean up any casting flaws your can reach and run as is.

good luck. 200whp on a t25 shouldnt be much trouble at all.

i ran a t25 on my fwd sr20det with a top mount intercooler, blue bird set up with a gtir exhaust manifold more then 10 years ago and made 240whp at 14psi. it was a rip.

stratton.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts