Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered many times... and i still can't decide by looking through all the threads. i'm pretty set on gettin illuminas for shocks/struts later - but i'm confused on what to get for the springs. this will pretty much be 90-95% DD for me. but i do want to be able to go on a nice road change the shocks etc. i wouldn't mind the 1.5-1.75 drop ... but i like the idea of being able to change it later... so

H&R sports
GC sleeves
omnipower sleeves...

those are the three i'm looking at. for DD... do GC really make that much of a difference compared to what omni has to offer? i mean it's mainly DD - are sleeves going overkill - or should i just get the H&R springs and be happy with it???

oh and - since i don't see myself spending 400ish bucks on illuminas sometime too soon... will the above choices be ok on stock shocks for the meanwhile?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am running omnipower on my Integra. I love them. This may not help much being a civic. They have great customer service by the way. I had H&R sports on a MK3 Jetta they were a lil soft for me but I did buy them used.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I'd say just go with the H&R springs if it's mostly DD and you want to save the cash. If you are thinking about tracking it seriously, you may want to go ahead with the GCs.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... so coilovers - are pretty much overkill for DD... then springs it may be - anyone else want to chime in?

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I have ground controls on all 3 of my cars. I love the way they ride. My hatch and accord both have kyb agx shocks and the integra has kyb gr2 rear shocks and tokico illuminas in front. go with the ground controls.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i have skunk2 coilovers and tokiko blues. the coilovers were bouncy as hell with stock shocks. but with the blues, its alot better. i love it, and i love how i can raise the back when i go to the track and look like a straight drag car... lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
the sleeves will void the warrenty on the tokicos. im a tokico dealer and the life time warrenty is a great thing. go with the springs instead of sleeves. those are great shocks by the way. and springs ride great too

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im running H&R springs on my car right now, they r a great ride and have totally won me over on susspension. my friend had omni coil overs on his hatch and it was a pretty good ride

·
Registered
'91 Honda Civic Si
635 Posts
Keep in mind that the majority of lowering springs will lower the car too much with respect to the increase in spring rate. With the GC, you can set the ride height as low (or not low) as you want and select custom spring rates to meet your needs. You can call the folks at GC and tell them your car, what it is used for and they can recommend spring rates for you. If its in your price range, i'd go for some Koni yellows as well so that you can match the dampening to your spring rate.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bah - i was almost set on gettin H&r's... and now this comes up... do i just call up ground control? it's pretty much DD - and i think i saw you say on another forum (latapx) - that 300 all around is a good spring rate. would custom cost that much more than just "off the shelf" - like if i go to ebay... or modacar... what are those spring rates set at........ and does anyone use GC with illuminas (because there's a good difference in price for the total combo...)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been runnin' omnipower full coils on my dd for almost a year now and I have no complaints. The ride is really forgiving, you'll notice a serious difference in handling and they wont beat the crap out of you like some setups out there. The only problem I have with them is the lack of dampning adjustability. So, my next setup will probably consist of some function form coils. From personal experience, I've run the spectrum of suspension set ups and for me the best bang for the buck is full coilvers. :TU:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts