Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok long story short, ever since I did my most recent rebuilt, I noticed it was missing/misfiring(not loud but you can hear them), I wouldn't get an engine light BUT I could hear it from my exhaust... and I had a feeling something wasn't right.. After hours and hours of searching online I came across a topic on this forum that talked about having the head OR block resurfaced, and how it would affect timing....

On my build I had the head and block resurfaced... and I can't remember OR find the paper that says how much they removed... I literally spent the hole day today trying to fix the M/IG timing on the car, and well I suppose I'm in the right track since the car sounds WAY better than before, not to mention no more misfiring sounds from the exhaust and runs a bit more quieter.... BUT I'm still 100% sure its not right, since the car cranks a bit more to start when cold or when It's turned on after it was just turned off minutes ago..

So help and suggestions will be appreciated!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soooorry for double post, but after my posting I realized I WAS CHECKING ignition timing on the WHITE mark instead of the RED mark..... :uh: I can't believe I'm so stressed out, sooo confused and can't figure out something that might be soo simple omg..:bash:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 460 big block.... :\

No a D16Y7 mini me:

D16y7 block (was decked)
D16y8 pistons
D16y7 crank
D16y8 head (was resurfaced)
etc

Since I don't have an adjustable cam gear and don't know how much material was removed from the block/head, I advanced the cam by a tooth (wile crank stayed at the TDC mark) and it sound a bit better and was able to adjust my IG timing properly unlike before BUT I still have a feeling its not right yet, and would like some quick advice

TY

·
Registered
same
1,882 Posts
Wow. Someone gives up easily. You may need an adjustable gear and have the cam degreed in to find your correct mechanical timing. Remember it's 12° for a y series engine.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
You finally reply to a thread you started 6 days earlier and then complain about the level of help. I only was being a smart ass because I saw no helpful info to help you out, like what year and trim level car and what motor you had.

The timing could be off from having the surfaces decked, but if it was only to remove the imperfections and not to try and increase C/R then it shouldn't be enough material gone to affect the timing enough to need an adjustable gear.

Are you following the FSM on setting the timing (both mechanical and ignition)?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
y8 and y7 are the same.....so timing shouldn't change unless you took a bunch off the head and block

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I love it when people ask the question incorrectly and cant take the rhetoric when we try and get info by making jokes. What a trouser trout, HT should love him.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,940 Posts
Unless you specifically asked to have a certain amount removed, or the machinist was completely clueless, they should have only taken off what was necessary to ensure that the head and block were flat and free of imperfections.

I doubt that they took enough off to really make a difference in regards to timing but you never know.

There are measurements for OEM block and cylinder head height but a machine shop would be the only place who could measure it.

There is also a way to check the "pads" in the cylinder head casting to get an estimate of how much it was milled. Maybe Transzex has them handy and can post the pics...can't find them from the last time he posted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts