Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started my d16y8 turbo build as of now the motor is competely stock things i would like to do are:
stage 1 or 2 crower cam
spring and retainer kit
ARP head studs
forged rods
JE low comp pistons

im lookin for about 15-20 psi or more when im done so i want to beef everything up would i be ok leaving the stock crank in? i guess the real reason for this post is to learn more about boost and what kind of parts i should run im new to the whole boost scene so like i said im still learnin and any advice on this would help. im just tryin to find a good setup that will be able to handle that ammount of boost. thanks in advance
ben

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
15-20 PSI means nothing. Are you plannign on useing a Garett GT15 or 20 series turbo? If so you don't need anything except engine management, even at 20 PSI you won't make enough power to blow the rods unless you have a bad tune. Or are you going to use something like a GT40 series where you'll never hit 15 PSI on the street.

How about useing a T3/T4 with a .86 stage III turbine housing and a 1.06 compressor housing running a GT6041 compressor wheel? If you get that to spool (ever) your going to blow your block apart at 12 PSI unless you sleeve it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont really know what all im gonna use yet, im still learning about turbos and what not i kinda know the basics but thats it. this may be a far fetched thought but i would like hp numbers to be in the low to mid 200's and as for torque im not sure, would this be possible with the garett15 or 20 series turbos?? like i said im still learning so dont bash me too hard lol

·
Registered
826 Posts
you dont need 15-20 psi to hit 200 hp, maybe 12-14 and depending on your tune you could get 220 easily.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was actually just lookin at that turbo or the gt2860r, any idea on how i can get a price on one?? i looked on their website a lil bit but didnt find anything

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks so would i be ok running my stock internals?? or should i upgrade just to be safe?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd upgrade considering the potential or these turbos. Even if your goals are 250 your going to need to anyway, and really at that point your probebly going to want more later.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so what all would u recommend up grading for now? im gonna do pistons, rods, and cams. should i do the crank and bearings. should i also up grade the valvetrain?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd go 9:1 forged pistons if you can afford them, or just use Vitaras and Tuner Toys rods. It depends on your budget. I'd go with a Crower 2 turbo cam and valve train.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah im gonna pick up a set of JE low compression (9:1) pistons friday and i was lookin into a stage 2 crower cam with a spring and retainer kit, as for the rods im still kinda open on those but ill look into the ones u suggested do u think the crank will be ok? thats one of the main things im worried about

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Crank is the least of your concerns with a D. There are guys makeing 450HP on stock cranks useing stock bearings.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok that put me at ease a lil bit, as for fuel system and intake mani should i just run stock injectors, DSM or get some other type? and should the stock intake mani and tb be ok also?? if u want we can just continue this over pms i dont care either way

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd consider RC550's and an Edelbrock intake with a B16 or H22 throttle body. Also get a Walbro fuel pump and a 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor, for tuning use CROME.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks for the advice im sure u will see more posts of this type by me in the near future

1 - 20 of 23 Posts