Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my story (hope you guys don't get to bored with it), but I was in the process of building a pretty nice b-series for my coupe, GSR block bored and honed with .25 OS CTR's, ARP rod bolts and headstuds, OEM bearings, was going to use Skunk2 Stage2 Cams with springs and retainers, Skunk2 IM, Hytech replica header, was basically going to be a 210WHP DD, but unfortunately ran into some problems with the head, there was a crack on the intake port side, so went on the search for another b16 head, found one the next day on b20vtec.com, met the kid, seemed legit, head looking fine, bring it to the machine shop the next day I get a call, "this head is even more screwed up then the original one you gave me", so after spending 250 bucks for that head, and 150 dollars on the machine work, I decided forget it, why go out and by another head that "might" be good or "might" be damaged, I didn't have enough money to buy a complete head with all of the work done already, and need this car since it's my DD.....

Long story short, friend of mine was looking to go all motor B and had a clean y8 sitting in his car, so I said to myself, why not go turbo D, I've always wanted to, but never thought I'd make power unless it was fully built....

He bought my block, trans, and gave me his single with a few extra goodies, turbo, BOV, Wastegate, Intercooler, downpipe, and oil return line, I just purchased a log manifold from spoolinperformance and the intercooler piping off ebay (yeh I know ebay), I hope this makes the power I want it to, going to be running it on a stock y8 block, with ARP headstuds, fuel pump, 440cc injectors, just looking to see what other "precautions" you guys would take, I'll have more progress and pictures of the build, dyno, etc. in the next couple of weeks, hopefully all turns out well, and it feels nice coming back to the single world....

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
oil pump, either port it and shim it, get a toga or endyn modified one. new fuel pump and a good tune also

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Also just wanted to see what Intake Manifold you guys would go with in this situation...?
stock it works just fine for stock block power levels

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
and before you ask, stock tb also. upgrade to at least a 2.5 bar map, maybe bigger if you want.
yea would make it a bit easier, although if he gets a decent size turbo he really wont need much more above 12psi which is where the stock map stops reading

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
those numbers are always changing. some say 11 psi, while other say no more then 4 or 5 psi. personal preferance i guess.
right around 11-12 is the max never heard of anyone running into issues below that.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
why the upgraded oil pump? is this something that is common on a y8??
I see it like this, he is running a stock block so why the uprade on the oil pump?
stock pump flows 25% less then the z6 i blew my y8 with intake header and an exhaust.

but there are plenty of people running y8 without an issue.

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
right around 11-12 is the max never heard of anyone running into issues below that.
11.7 is the max a oem map will read. thats where the boost cut gets set on crome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the ARP headstuds, Cometic headgasket, Walbro fuel pump, Precision 440cc injectors, and a brand new oil pump, and like someone said before, the stock y8 IM will be find I'm assuming...? Also seeing what boost controller you guys would go with (on a budget, not trying to go nuts) and boost gauge?

Will have pictures up this week of the motor...

·
Registered
96 Posts
You woulda been fine with the stock fuel pump as well, mista money bagz over here lol...
just cuz the oil pump u bought is new doesnt mean it don't need shimming "search on here for How To Shim link"... Autometer boost gauge will do u fine also an u can most likely get that at Autozone or Advanced Auto w/e store is around u more than likely has one... Since ur injectors are high impedence u won't need resistor box, but u might wanna look into spendin about $20-$30 bucks for a Golden Eagle vacuum manifold to supply ur sources requiring vacuum... And last but not least, screw the boost controller, screw the map sensor, buy a chip kit from xenocron an have someone throw CromePro on ur ecu an tune that beast... Depending on what wastegate u got most are internally set to either 5 or 8psi when their brand new, either way ull be good with a nice tune. Only reason i say forget the boost controller & map sensor is 1, the only sick boost controllers are like over $100 bucks, an 2, u said u wanted a DD so why not just tune it to what its premanufactured with an call it a day..?? At least ull feel more safe knowin ur not testin the waters with blowin ur motor until u can build it.... Thats just my .02 good luck...

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
boosted dd's are always good to see... good luck man. post pics when you get it finished

1 - 14 of 14 Posts