Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a set of honda cbr 929 throttle bodies. They are a complete assembly. what i am working w is a d16z6 and what i am asking is... HOW do i make this all work? I have sourced a couple of random d-series intake manifolds to machine and reweld flanges on. I need suggestions on how long the runners need to be, what injectors to run, and the ins and outs of getting it together. Thanks and i always turn to you to get a good understanding of whats going on.

here are a couple of pics of my itb assembly...

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Hatch
433 Posts
ok, I give you some help... first you got the right Idea you need to get a flange and weld runners on to the flange to mate with the ITB couplers...runner length is up 2 you...there are both benefits to short and Long runners and its up to you to research whats best for you application, 2 injector sizing this is again something you need to research the answers are out there... I will tell you that your 929 injectors are 240cc which is the same as a stock Z6, to correctly size an injector for your application...well...will keep it simple and just go by estimated hp goals... fuel pressues and duty cycles are things to look at... you general want a duty cycle of no more then 85% but there are people that like to push that # higher... someone can chip in on stock injector hp range...stock pressure on a Z6 is like 40psi? so a cheaper alternative then new injectors could be bumpin the fuel psi up a couple pounds... the biggest problems I see with ITB setups is Vacuum...your going to need a vacuum log to store vacuum for the FPR, MAP, and to connect you brake booster...along with mounting your IAT and IACV if you choose to fabricate something for the IACV...the best way to tune ITB's IMO would be Crome with ITB tools...it discards the Map signal after X TPS position... my 2 cents

·
Registered
92 Hatch
433 Posts
yeah they look like the ITB's I have for my car but I used a DPFI mani so I dont got the the injector holes, I used the ITB injectors, but some people use the stock injectors...your gonna have to port match the runners to the mani cause the shape/size of the runners are different then the mani's and the ITB's are farther apart then on the mani

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
theoretically, having the injectors back will yield more peak power due to increased atomization time. Some people that have done it say they didn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the redirect... it is close to what i need and now i have a better understanding of what i am up against. does anyone know the dif bw cbr 954 itbs and cbr 939 itbs? also, if i am to street this, could i use an intake system besides velocity stacks? (ie, individual cone air filters, or an bike air box)

thanks guys, Troy

·
Registered
225 Posts
A easy but not cheap way to put a filter on all would be to get a turbo manifold for the cbr itbs and place a filter on the inlet,this works b/c when I was boosted with the itb set up it's what I used. But I use individual filters now that I'm n/a agin.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
You can buy individual filters. I've seen some with ~40mm openings on ebay; and K&N, ITG, etc. makes some too. You can also stick the filters over the velocity stacks if you wanted to(which would probably be the best method).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys... but another question,... do i build a flat manifold flange for the itbs to bolt to or use some kind of coupler to hold them on? that is my biggest question as to pretain to which manifold to hack up... what have you guys used so far? thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts