Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting a d16y7...wha should i do keep it non v-tec or drop y8 head on it...i want to boost it in the future.......soo wha should i do

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
with the y8 and high hp you will have a little bit better daily driveability, but with the y7 you can have an extreme cam with high lift that will makes lots of hp, but will suck on the bottom end. if you do the vtec you can get a cam that will allow you to have nice low end torque and high end hp.

so do you want a nice daily go with the vtec head, but if you want to just drag then keep the y7 and build it for a big turbo.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
If it was my case, I'll keep y7 head. weld combustion chamber, mill lil bit, port, agressive cam, spring retainer, intake, bigger tb, headers and more... You can reach nice number with a setup like that :) maybe more if you want to go turbo, or nitrous...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i want to have a streetable car but i want to have alot power at the sametime.......how much hp you think i can get off d16y7 without vtec and much you think i could get with vtec.........im just looking for a good route to go with......

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
If you want really hardcore setup, but you will loose much streetability and gaz efficiency, go for y7, there is a plenty of potentiel, I think you can get really hot cam than vtec ones, less valvetrain and device around head, easier to tune, really nice if you go on track or if you home to works or school is a 1/4 miles. I realy like lumpy idle who wants to stall every rotation, it really intimidate...

If you want best of both world, vtec is the key, but little bit $$$, and big cam for them are less bigger than y7 you can make regrind.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keep non-vtec man, tuning is wayyyy easier, in my case i stuck with the a6 head and never went vtec and tuning was a breeze b/c or no vtec to work around

1 - 20 of 26 Posts