Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time posting.

So I just got done swapping heads and replacing the head gasket on my 2000 EX. While I was in there I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. Also adjusted my valve lash. Car runs great except for an obvious, bad intake leak. The heads are of the exact same casting, same year model EX and everything. Donor car was an auto, as was mine used to be. Converted to 5 speed. My intake manifold was from a manual car (also a 2000) and I performed the 2-wire IACV conversion too. It should be a direct swap, so I don't suspect any compatibility issues.

The intake manifold gasket is an OEM unit I picked up from the dealer. When spraying starting fluid around the upper intake flange/injector ports the car bogs from 1500rpm to 600rpm. The injector o-rings are also brand new. The mating surfaces were clear of old gasket material. Torqued to 17lbs per the manual.

Question: would it be wise to lightly slather both sides of the gasket with hondabond? Or something? I didn't have this problem with my old head. Strange thing is, the deck mating surfaces were straight and square. As said the car runs great except for a bad idle and P0505. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do head, intake or gasket have that air injection bullshit?

give us something to look at..
I believe all 2000 Y8's had it. But all of my parts were from year 2000 cars. Everything is the same, down to the castings on the two heads. First I tried to get away with using a felpro gasket, which worked fine on my old head. Felpro leaked, so I just wanted to wrap this job up so I got an OEM gasket. Still leaks in the exact same place.

The area circled in red is where the gasket is leaking.

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,949 Posts

if that's the spot, those are the air injection ports. tap them, put in a plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously the lower left is a coolant passage and should remain untouched. This seems simple and more of a guarantee than RTV. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts