Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start my car up there is NO signs of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. but after about 10 min (when car is fully warmed up) I can clearly see lots of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. Is this a valve issue or are my rings fried? I figured if it were my rings it should do this at start up correct? but it doesn't at all. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
95 integra
504 Posts
when you just drive regular does it smoke or when you get on it. If its only when you het on it, it would most likely be valve seals. But you wont be able to know for sure until you leakdown test your car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, if i first start the car up and drive around it wont do it at all. but after the car is warm it will blow blue smoke more and more as rpms increase.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Tried a compression check yet?

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
most likely valve stem seals.
had the same problem. best way to check.
go down a hill and leave it in say 2nd gear and let the rpms stay up the whole way down the hill and at the bottom just give it some gas like get on it just a tad and see if it puffs alot of smoke.
this is how i figured it out. someone else on here told me thats a way to check other then a leak down test

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went for a little drive, and tried that. I was going down a fairly steep hill and i let it in 3rd gear. it was at about 3.5krpms i believe and when i got to the bottem and reved it a little i could see some smoke but it was hard to tell since it was pretty windy out. When i got home i had the car in neutral and i held it revving at about 4k for about 3-4 seconds. there didnt seem to be alot of blue smoke while i did that.. when i let off the gas I hit the pedal to the floor for a second and there was a pretty huge puff of blue smokes that came out of the exhaust...

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
The entire reason you want to do the whole "hill test" is because when you close the throttle plate your creating a huge ammount of vacuum in the intake manifold, wich draws in oil into the intake and then into the engine.

So what you want to do is go to the top of a hill, put it in a pretty high gear (like second) and keep the rpm's around 3-5 do not touch the throttle until you hit the bottom of the hill, and then floor it. If you see smoke then you have bad valve stem seals or bad valve guides.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright im back already. hah less wind now. I did exactly what you said. while going down the hill i put it in 2nd and it was at about 4k all the way down the hill at the bottem I put it to the floor and WOW. ya a HUGE cloud of blue smoke came from the exhaust...

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
alright im back already. hah less wind now. I did exactly what you said. while going down the hill i put it in 2nd and it was at about 4k all the way down the hill at the bottem I put it to the floor and WOW. ya a HUGE cloud of blue smoke came from the exhaust...
Yep thats valve stem seals most likely, not a big deal probibally a 1 day job. Good top end lubrication :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off work and did a compression test.

got the engine warmed up. Took all plugs out. and for each test i cranked the engine over 5 times and had the gas pedal to the floor.

This are the reading I got EXACTLY.
Cylinder 1. 182
Cylinder 2. 180
Cylinder 3. 179
Cylinder 4. 179

seems pretty damn good to me..

If my rings were worn out and causing my car to burn oil like it is... You would think i wouldn't have such high compression then right?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, well I might have to bring it to my engine mechanic because i dont think ill be able to do that myself..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts