Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Honda Civic
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'll tell you guys the whole story...

Back in January I bought a 1997 Honda Civic Dx off a man for $1500. Had 141,xxx on the motor, 5 speed, had cheap ass coilovers in it of which I ripped out (couldn't take the slamming) and a "custom" exhaust (more like cut the resonator off and welded a cherry bomb muffler on) with a 4-2-1 header. I knew the Dx came from the factory was the non-vtec d16y7 motor. The man told me it was the vtec motor but when I asked which one he didn't know (I thought he was pulling my leg to get more money). He also only had it for 2 weeks proved by his registration and sold it because he was getting too many tickets.

So I test drove it, liked it, brought it home and registered it. Bought some nice wheels for it, a cheap ebay Si wing and threw my subs in. Until one day I decided to see how much balls she had (about a month later). Holy crap did it takeoff a lot fast than I expected. Hit 50 in 2nd gear. In suspicion I searched for the block stamp and saw it said "D16Y5" which is the e-vtec motor if I'm not mistaken. So I figured "cool! This is a vtec motor". Then someone mentioned that a swap called a minime swap is common with civics and to check the head code.

Well the head code is "P2J-2". I researched the code and it's a Y8 head. So the main question I have is do I have a good set up (like hp and tq)? And is there anything else I should look for that may have been swapped? Any information would be appreciated! I don't know much about these cars. Hence the noob posting!

Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
It's been a long time since I've seen the code Y5. As you've already determined, you have a mini-me swapped Civic. Hp and Torque are going to be the same as any mini swap; nothing crazy. I don't know what you mean by "is there anything else I should look for" Is there a reason you're looking for something?

·
Registered
1997 Honda Civic
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is a minime swap good? And I mean anything else like intake manifold, fuel injectors ect.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Take a pic of the bay.

Trans code and engine code are in close proximity. Get both and let us know.

Reap the rewards of acceptance.

- Mini me is a negligible thing, if you have the d15 bottom and vtec d16 head you have a decent bump in fun factor, but fast? Sounds like you might have a d16y8 there, y5 bottom and y8 head. We wont know until you get block, trans, and head code.

edit - my reading is bad some times, you do have a y8 motor pretty much.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
They are pretty Identical except for gas mileage. Y5 40 mpg Y8 35mpg. Both fun to play with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts