Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got home from buying my 2nd civic which I plan to turn into a bit of a daily driver in order to replace my fairly large current daily driver Silverado Z71.

Here's the thing, I just drove over an hour to spend 1100 bucks on a car that doesn't run. No idea why yet but I'll be sure to try and keep all the details posted unlike my long abandoned build thread for my other (project) civic.

The car is a 99 EX with a few ugly spots I'll have to get pictures of.

I have a few ideas for some interesting stuff to do to the car that I will go into detail most likely while bored at work.

The car is still at the guys house but I should be picking it up in 2 days when I have the time to go out there with a dolly to tow it with.

Anyhow how about some pictures...

Here is the one picture I have of the new ride until I get it home and take more.

\

And for content sake, a couple quick pics of the project car nearing drive-able status.

More about the new car once I actually pick it up. It's been a long day, time to take a break.

EDIT: I just bought my first parts for it, should be here Wednesday when I go get the car. Amazon prime can be awesome.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just to clarify, the silver car is the one I just bought, the black one I've had for many years and is going through a complete overhaul. I should really update or start a new build thread for it.

I don't think I will be adding propane or any propane accessories but I do have some ideas for a few simple mods to make the silver car more enjoyable as a new daily driver.

I could barely sleep last night, I don't know if it's because I'm excited to go pick up the car or if I'm already regretting my decision to buy another Honda (this makes 5 vehicles I currently own)

My plans so far for the silver car is to get it home and get it on a OBD1 ecu right away so I can get some feedback on diagnosing the reason its not running. The guy I bought the car from said there were no check engine lights and he was right. The light doesn't work, not even for the initial key on priming sequence. I'm actually kind of excited to figure out why the car wont start, I'm just hoping its not a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Okay, seriously though. Now Im thinking of doing propane injection and putting a vinyl of Hank Hill on my rear window...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I can't believe you spent 1100 on a non-running car o_O
What if it is a simple fix? It is a gamble, but a quick fix can yield a $700 come up on that chassis around here.

Good luck OP, in to see where it goes from here.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't believe you spent 1100 on a non-running car o_O
Me either.

The car is very stock looking under the hood, which I found as a plus. A/C system still intact but the engine currently doesn't fire. I didn't hear anything alarming when cranking but I very well could be looking for an engine soon if the old Y8 let a bearing go or something. Here's to hoping its something minor.

Most kids out here don't have the slightest understanding of how to troubleshoot these cars, they just throw replacement parts at them until something works. I'm hoping to bank on that and possibly find an electrical issue or something.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if it is a simple fix? It is a gamble, but a quick fix can yield a $700 come up on that chassis around here.

Good luck OP, in to see where it goes from here.
That's what I'm hoping. As a tuner for quite a few years I've been able to get cars thought hopeless by the owners to run in very little time. As long as something isnt damaged internally on the engine I have no doubt I'll have this thing fired up in no time.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
I thought having two was the minimum to be a DSO member? LOL!

Need one as a DD, and the other as the project car.

What about spare parts???

You should have 2 more just for that

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
You don't need whole entire extra cars for that though, just need an industry rack and a garage. At one time, I had 11 d-series transmissions in my garage! LOL!

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got it home, changed and about to go dive in.

Side note amazon shipped me a obd2-a jumper harness with a obd2-b label on it.

About to do a compression test, wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts