Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on here, but I have a new honda now (93 EG Si), and my turbo kit from my previous hatch. The turbo is an IHI RHB5. I've been doing some searching on them, and they seem "decent", but I plan on building my motor internally to potentially get around 350whp and I don't think this turbo will cut it. The only downfall is that the turbo is actually welded to the manifold, so it's not like I can just replace the turbo, or I would.

I'm inquring would it be worth it to purchase a new manifold, turbo, and piping or; stick with what I have and just build the motor internally with the IHI turbo as it's power source. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
as mentioned above, the RHB5 is too small for 350hp.
if you get a manifold and downpipe for it, you will probably have to them when you get a turbo capable of 350hp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link, I never spotted that one because when I searched I used ihi rhb5, I never knew there was another name for it (vj14). But I guess in my case since the turbo is welded to the manifold, I'm SOL for and easy turbo swap. Anyone know the power ratings of these little things? I'm still doing more research.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
It won't like hitting 250WHP at all. It would be a fun DD, and a good way to cut your teeth on boost, but, it's NOT ideal and you WILL want more. If you can get it for cheap enough, rock it and learn how to tune yourself. Then you'll have the foundation of skills needed when you decide to go bigger with a built engine. That turbo will take you to what I consider the edge of generally reliable stock engine limits, just like I say about the T25, as I have one in my CRX.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Im not even sure 250 would be possible.

Based on my calculations, youre going to be 300+ CFM at ~10 psi. Which is off the compressor map for this turbo.

Like I said, in the Mazda world, everybody ditches these turbos if they want to make any power. people try cranking them up to 12+ psi but they get very inefficient and stop making power. Not to mention the fact that its probably spinning the turbo too high.

·
Registered
800 Posts
So you are building your engine internally, so new pistons, rings, rods etc... I am not sure I understand why you just would not switch out your whole setup with something more adequate. Rebuilding your engine is a lot more complicated than removing your manifold and some pipes and replacing it. You have to remove all that stuff when you pull off your motor anyway.

There is no sense in keeping that setup, if you are rebuilding your motor to handle more than 230 horse but you turbo will barely make 250 why even do it. The stock engine will handle 230 horsepower, might as well keep it as is. I have a rather large turbo on my car and it spools at 3500 rpms and I LOVE IT, I can drive around nice and quite and smooth around the city and it runs great in the highway. Get rid of that midget turbo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts