Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any write ups for ignition tuning with Hondata? *I'm going to be street tuning with a det can and using the spark plugs. *I know people are going to say only do it on a dyno but I want to learn how to do it on my own. *I'm going to be doing this with a spare engine.

I get the theory in the tuning the ignition. *Just not exactly how to do it in the maps.*

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Just make sure you know what detonation sounds like, and if you hear it, pay attention to the load, and RPM, and then adjust the timing in the maps. Then re-test.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Sounds like you dont understand it.

Its almost the same on all ECUs..

You dont have to persuade us you know what you're doing...

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,938 Posts
Like Danz said, know what you're listening for:

If you've made the det can correctly, detonation isn't that difficult to identify.

Make note of the engine RPM and the reading on the boost gauge, then adjust the cells on the map. I use the voice recorder on my iphone to dictate when I hear potential detonation and when I get home, I listen to the recording, adjust the map, and do the same thing over again.

If you think you hear detonation, pull 2 degrees and re-test.

I usually adjust at least a 2x2 grid of cells and only make individual cell adjustments to smooth the areas using the 2d graph view.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I certainly don't know exactly what I'm doing. Thank you for the answers though. The other forum I posted this question on everyone just said you can;t do it and you have to use a dyno. That's really helpful. I didn't think about matching the detonation sound to where I am on the map. I especially like the idea of using a phone to dictate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts