Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've searched quite a bit, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my ignition timing perfect without a timing light.

The reason I can't use a light, is because the marks are spaced different on a z6 crank pulley than on my y8 pulley.

Currently I'm running everything stock d16z6 EXCEPT for the y8 block and a chopped harness without vtec lol. Still p28 though.

If using a timing light is the only effective way to nail the ignition timing, then my plan B was to use the z6 pulley on the y8 crankshaft.
Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
use maths to remark the pulley as need, use timing light.

Or do it by ear...but I'm old.

Then again I played with ignition timing using a simple kit like this....and might have filed on the weights as well.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
why can't you set it to TDC and mark your pulley at the appropriate place for TDC and then use a strobe light? Are you overthinking this?

...and Bone...you should have showed them pictures of points and condensers too!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, thank you everyone for your advice.

I've checked out adjustable timing lights, but I'm still not quite sure how I could make marks using it.

To clarify my understanding of how to use them: Do they use the TDC mark as your desired advance mark (when lining up the sights) when you set it?

If so, that's fucking awesome

·
Registered
26 Posts
The mark is at 12*, right? Then there is one at 14* and 10*? Just measure the distance between marks and make one at 16*. I personally use a yellow paint marker because I have a terrible time seeing scratches.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The reason I can't use a light, is because the marks are spaced different on a z6 crank pulley than on my y8 pulley.

Use an adjustable timing light and the TDC mark on the crank pulley.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts