Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Newbie to this site, got a question for those more knowledgeable amongst you.

Have a 93 Del Sol with a D16Z6, have had misfiring issues for a long time. All the spark plugs are decent, cables have been replaced numerous times (Just today ensured all connections good, and firing order correct) This is the third ignition coil in the last year. I replaced first one, honda replaced second; but now two months later out of tune again. Checked resistance of ignition coil: secondary resistance is fine but primary resistance is 1.2 (a little high). There is a fair bit of carbon scoring on the rotor (polished off) and on the distributor cap contacts (polished off as well).

I can't for the life of me figure out why the ignition coil seems to be going so often. Honda said that the rotor in the last one was arcing with the ignition coil, but I could not see why it would happen again so soon.

As a side note, and possibly related - my oil gets dirty really quickly. I do oil changes every 5000km but each time it is black.

Sorry for such a long post, I hope some of you can be of assistance.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
maybe your your ground wires need some cleaning/replacing?
As for the oil, any number of seals may be deteriorating internally. (Valve guides, piston rings). If your 93 z6 has never been rebuilt, then it wouldn't be a surprise that after 12 years of that motor enduring 'spirited' driving (vtec, ya' know), it would start to show signs of internal wear.

-ic

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll recheck the grounds tommorow. Would that cause the arcing issue?

As for the dirty oil, you're probably right. It's the original engine with no rebuilds. Getting close to 200,000 miles, and I do like to use the VTEC.

Alot of carbon soot in the muffler as well. Due to the ignition issues it is hard for me to tell if it is an internal seal/gasket or the ignition. My only car, nowhere to work on it so I'm kind of leary about going headfirst into the engine.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i'm not positive, but if your grounds are toast, the ignition might be trying to close the circuit elsewhere and that's why your ignition components are burning up prematurely.

As for the motor. Until you can do something about a swap or rebuild, you might consider some seafoam cleaner and maybe some of that compression booster type oil additive to help seal up your rings and such. That stuff works well, more or less, but it's only a band-aid.

-ic

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks for the advice. Let me know if any of you can think of anything else.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry bud, first time using this thing. It was an accident, tried to put positive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts