Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this because there is little info on this problem. Sorry if it's a double post.

Problem:
I had a rythmic idle that would rev from 1000 to 1600, the drop down, rev, drop, etc. Two trips to honda and 3 mechanics advice, no help.

Solution:
The Fast Idle Control Valve (thats what I've heard it called, might not be right) malfunctioning. This valve is on the bottom of the throttle body held on with 3 bolts. On the right side is a coolant inlet held on with 2 screws and on the other side is a plate held on with 2 screws. Unscrew the plate (after removing from the engine, at least I did.) and screw that plastic piece back in firm. Don't over tighten, it just needs to be in, not tighened down. It will take 2 screw drivers because it's larger diameter than a quarter and the slots are only on the outer edge.

Work:
When I pulled mine and removed the plate, the plastic piece was loose, not even screwed in. BAD. I screwed it in firm and put it back on, idle was fine. No revving and sitting at a little over 1000 cold. I need to adjust the idle speed on the throttlebody because it's completely closed for my bad idle and the cold engine doesn'y like starting easy. Starts up, but a little rough. And I plan to adjust my timing.

Info:
The coolant runs through the FICV and the throttle body. Using the coolant temp, it gives the intake more air for cold starts and warming up the engine.

I thought I should post this because this problem is kinda common, but it's not easy to find good info on it. I had to find this fix out using google searching after 2 shop visits and 3 mechanic's suggestion didn't do anything. This did not cost a dime, so if you are having any idle problems, check this part and it might help. The idle change was night and day and I should see a gas milage improvement from it. I'll hop on goole and see if I can't find some pics of what to look for.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock D16Z6.

Here's a pic of what to look for.

This is with the intake box top and arm removed looking through the throttle body. You can see the FICV, on the left side is the plate you pull off. I removed it, because I didn't know what to look for, but you might be able to make this adjustment without removing the FICV from the TB.

Go ahead and check it mintchoc91, it takes no time to check and costs nothing to fix if it is the problem.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't. It's personal preference, about a half to an 8th a cup of coolant will get spilled in the process if you dont. Not worth it IMO, the part has no electronics, fuel or oil, so spilling coolant in the process doesn't hurt anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts