Honda D Series Forum banner

idle surge

857 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Delsole 
#1 ·
Ok first off i have a 1997 civic cx hb. i first put on a y8 mani, and when i did that i used the y7 throttle body and the y7 iacv sensor so all my plugs would go right in. got done car ran great no check engine.

then i got a y8 head i put the head on and wired up the vtec/knock/vtec pressure, and put in the p2p ecu. when i went to start it the car was only running on 3 cylinders. come to find out i had tightened the valves a little bit to much. once i got the car running right i threw a cel for o2 sensor probably because i toasted them when the car was running bad. with that said i drove the car and it ran fine. this is were one question comes in.

is my vtec working because i have a cel. it feals like it is but i cant really tell.

but anyways i was surprised the car would only redline at 6800, so i did some research and i guess some just do that. then i decided to get a p28 and a jumper. i ran the p28 and the car start surging from 1k to 2k in a perfect rythum. when i raced someone that usually beats me though i took them by a car this time.

now i think it is doing this because my iacv valve is a three wire and the p28 searches for two, however i though the ptp also searches for two. so why is this only happening on the p28. now what i wanted to do was put the p2p in for inspection time and still have the p28 run no problem when i go to race.

now im thinking maybe they make some vtec ecu's that search for the three wire and i just so happened to get a hold of one, and though one have a lower redline. but i just dont know. i dont want to wire it up for 2 wire if i can easily throw in my p2p, so that why i kinda stuck here.

so if anyone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
search is your friend, just go advance and make sure to only have it search the title or you will a bunch of crap...lol

#5 ·
check all sensors? hooked up & completely snapped in?

#7 ·
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! good point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.