Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube - Idle problems when headlights are on.

The idle surges like it would if the iacv was bad, but its not.

I took the alternator out and had it tested at autozone. The guy ran the test 3 times and said it passed each one so it isn't that.

During hte day the car runs just fine but the second i turn on my headlights the idle goes down, then back up and stops around 800 - 900 rpms. And when i come to a stop or let off the gas the rpms drop really far, sometimes shutting the car off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did you have the alternator tested on the car? I work at AZ part time and I know for a fact those machines will pass some fucked up alternators. Tell them to test it on the car with their hand held machine, its basically a big ass voltmeter that will tell exactly how many volts the alternator is pushing while the car is running. You can do this yourself too. Either way I would try to find out what the alternator is putting out while in the car.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
whats the resting voltage of your battery?

also, whats the voltage of the electrical system while the car is running w/ out the headlights on?

then do the same test with the headlights off...

do these test (just use a digital multimeter) and come back and tell us the results

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took the alternator out and had them test it.

About the battery, shouldn't the car run just fine without the battery connected once its running?

And about the volt meter, lol, how do i use it? i know i have one in my garage somewhere, but there's too many settings to choose from.

I'm pretty sure while the car is on the volt reading is 14.6, thats what crome says when the datalogger is going, i'll go try it with the lights on too.

EDIT: Volt meter is gone. Probably threw it away.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
if your putting out 14.6 volts and assumiing your battery is good

you need to do a voltage drop test sounds like a shitty connection somewhere

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I took the alternator out and had them test it.

About the battery, shouldn't the car run just fine without the battery connected once its running?

And about the volt meter, lol, how do i use it? i know i have one in my garage somewhere, but there's too many settings to choose from.

I'm pretty sure while the car is on the volt reading is 14.6, thats what crome says when the datalogger is going, i'll go try it with the lights on too.

EDIT: Volt meter is gone. Probably threw it away.

your batt could still be bad and the added strain of your headlights could be too much of a load on your alt...

buuut.... like CMgreen said, the first thing i would start checking is basic connections such as grounds, fuses, and relays

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh so the battery might be kinda bad and forcing the alternator to charge it harder than usual and the keep the car running at the same time?

For the grounds all i can really think of is the tranny, termostat, valve cover and the alternators ground and they're all pretty tight.

Could any of this have anything to do with the little nipple looking thing under the TB?

·
Registered
90autohatch mostly
50 Posts
Could any of this have anything to do with the little nipple looking thing under the TB?
I doubt it. Listen to the others and do voltage drop tests and check your battery. For a voltage drop test you use your multimeter set on DC volts.

You should read 0.1-0.3 volts between the battery post and battery terminal. Test that with and w/o the lights.

Google "voltage drop test" and read as much as you can.

This is your starting point.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
try turning on the heater, wipers, and headlights and see how she does then... if it gets worse, replace your battery

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
try turning on the heater, wipers, and headlights and see how she does then... if it gets worse, replace your battery
Yea dude i dunno if you watched the video i had but after i turned the lights on and the idle stoped moving i started rolling my windows down and it does the same shit. Stereo is fine with the lights off and wipers are too, but when the lights are on they fuck with the idle too.

And no, the ELD isn't disabled. Should it be?

I know multimeters are pretty cheap but i can't really afford one right now =\ still off work from my injury and LNI checks aren't getting any bigger.

My dog is having puppies soon so that'll bring in some extra money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts