Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can not post pic's right now but will edit this post with added pic's in a couple of hours... just wanted to get the ball rolling...

B18a1 - P&P head, Crower stage one cams, Crower springs and retainers, ARP head studs, MSD extreme cap/rotor, MSD plug wires, MSD external coil (not sure of the model)...

this past friday with a lil help from Tibby and Nate the gate we pulled off my old head and put on the built head, everything went well with the swap and it started on the first try (first try after realizing the fuel was shut off lol) but it's having a hard time idling...
so on saturday i set the valve to OEM specs (in .003/ ex .006) and it runs way better but still has the idle problem...

problems found:
after taking a look we found a few problems, the ignitor wire need a new connector soldered on, the MSD external coil wire at the cap was badly corroded as well as the terminal on the cap, also, the contacts inside the cap has some corrosion, timing is off...

the fix?:
i went a head and soldered a new connector for the ignitor, replaced the bad connector on the MSD coil wire, took some sand paper and cleaned up the terminal on the cap as well as the connections inside the cap, then played with the timing a lil bit...

all this did in fact help, it runs better now but, still wont idle... SOOO i did the one thing your not supposed to do...

i adjusted the idle screw under the throttle wheel and it now idles but i know its not right... i do get a very slight surge, maybe a few hundred RPM's...

main question:
is this normal when you have after market cams and work done to the head..? what other options should i look into..?
one thing i am in the process of doing is going back to a OEM cap and rotor with internal coil set up...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no back fires ever or skiping... shudders just before it would die, i assume because of the low RPM?

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
I can't stand MSD ignitions, I would just gfo back to stock and se if it works properly.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
I just wanted to ask if Crower had a suggested valve lash spec for their cam&springs?

I know sometimes cam companies will suggest a slightly different lash for their parts. Might not be the case here, but it's worth a shot.

Is you're cam timing within spec? If it's not then it can affect valve lash adjustment.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't stand MSD ignitions, I would just gfo back to stock and se if it works properly.
ya, i going to stick with the MSD extreme cap and wires but going to go with a OEM internal coil... i feel like iv'e had nothing but problems with the external MSD shit...
I just wanted to ask if Crower had a suggested valve lash spec for their cam&springs?

I know sometimes cam companies will suggest a slightly different lash for their parts. Might not be the case here, but it's worth a shot.

Is you're cam timing within spec? If it's not then it can affect valve lash adjustment.
i called Crower and for the stage one cams you use OEM valve specs, when tuning you adjust accordingly...

i just went for a drive and it was fine except for not wanting to idle, well, it does idle just kinda has a surge to it...

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
Sounds like my car the entire time i had it operating before i sold it (just over a year)

I could never get rid of the hunting idle, i did everything imaginable. Except find a properly working IACV, the original one was the best one out of the 3 i had used. It ran perfectly except for it surging while it idled.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like my car the entire time i had it operating before i sold it (just over a year)

I could never get rid of the hunting idle, i did everything imaginable. Except find a properly working IACV, the original one was the best one out of the 3 i had used. It ran perfectly except for it surging while it idled.
hrmm, so it may be a IACV..?
i have had this weird ignition problem even before swapping heads, in fact, the day before i did the swap it was the worst it had ever been... my exhaust sounded like a WRX, so, it figures i would still have the same problem, right..? :wacko:
my question is, since when the Fawk did you swap to a B18a???
lol, about 4 years or so... lol

98 civic B18A1 swap with a 5-speed swap at the same time - Honda-Tech

1 - 10 of 10 Posts