Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked a dozen plus times. It's a y8. I'm sorry I've searched and can't locate what to do. I have cleaned my idle air control valve, and throttle body, adjusted my throttle cable at the t.b. and did the proper idle relearn procedure.
I have a code for knock sensor I'll be focusing on this week with continuity tests etc.
But my problem lies here.. it runs perfect when cold but when it warms up if I rev it up when the idle drops it drops wayyy low to about the 500+- mark almost stalls then slowly works it's way back up to 750.
Anyone know what to check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well continuity check on knock sensor is bad and needs rewire. Could this be causing my rough idle and drivability problems?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also checked every vacuum line both visually and with carb cleaner and that showed no vac leaks. Also changed pcv valve (wasn't rattling when changed) and that was no help as well.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
loosen the idle screw more.

Generally you want to remove the idle screw, clean it up and the passage, then tighten screw til its bottomed out (DONT GO APESHIT) then back it out 2 turns. then go about setting idle again.

A little debris or dirt goes a long way to be a headache. That idle screw passage is TINY!!

You did not do the proepr idle setup if you did not touch the screw at all.

EDIT wanted to add. Have the engine fully warmed up when setting idle. somewhere in the instructions will be a spot where you unplug the IACV and use the idle screw to attain a specific engine RPM.

If you unplug the IACV when it is running normally, the rpms should drop quite a bit. If they stay where they are, the IACV is stuck or sticky

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll check the iacv as soon as I can. I didn't touch the idle screw at all yet honestly. Didn't want to do that until I was absolutely sure that was the problem.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If you didnt touch the idle screw you did nothing to actually set the idle. find the free tech manual known usually as "ab0ve civic manual" where the "0" in above is a zero.

There are also some online readable manuals, where someone took the time to make it a searchable and easily bookmarked setup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying I need to actually set the idle? I was trying to avoid it until it was the final thing to do as I don't have a tachometer besides what is in the car.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,074 Posts
So you're saying I need to actually set the idle? I was trying to avoid it until it was the final thing to do as I don't have a tachometer besides what is in the car.
makes it out to be a long in depth journey ..

if all the cels are clear and you read up on how to set the idle it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to see if it helps or hinders your situation..
what does it matter if you only have an in car tach ,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense I'll have to give it a whirl after reading on how to do it correctly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts