Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread called "Strange Problem" in the General Tech forum. I had been complaining about a bad idle in that thread. Well now my car won't start, it won't even turn over. I've tried jumping the car with no results. I have a yellow top Optima battery. My alternator tested out @ 14V a couple of weeks ago. The oil pressure light, battery light and check engine light in the gauge cluster are very dim with the key in the "ON" position. However my radar detector still works and lights up normally when I turn the key to the "ON" position (radar detector is plugged into the cigarette lighter). My headlights won't turn on...when I attempt to turn them on, my radar detector cuts off...then comes back on when I turn the lights off. I hear a "clicking" under the dash on the driver's side. Sounds electrical. I have heard that it could be a bad main relay or ignition switch. I have no idea exactly what a main relay or ignition switch looks like. Could my idle problem be related to my car not starting/turning over.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
main relay is a gray box with a brown plug in it.. its mounted on the driver side up under the dash.. it says like mistu on it or something like that..but check all ur gounds.. clickin is prob the main relay clicking

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the first thing about checking grounds. What are where should I check. I have no electrical experience at all.

·
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
theres a ground from ur tranny to ur chassis.. grounds in the engine bay fuse box. ground on ur thermo housing..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it just a matter of cleaning the grounds? I know about the tranny ground and thermo ground. What about the ground attached to the valve cover? Where is the ground for the engine bay fuse box, and what does it look like if you can describe it? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
what happens when you try to jump it? My car has a habit of burning alternator/vss fuses every few months, and the initial result is a poor/lopey idle as the battery voltage drains.

·
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
wheres the vss fuse?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what happens when you try to jump it? My car has a habit of burning alternator/vss fuses every few months, and the initial result is a poor/lopey idle as the battery voltage drains.
I get the same results as in my first post in this thread, nothing...motor won't turn over or attempt to start. It's like turning the key to the "START" position just 'kills' everything...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I get the same results as in my first post in this thread, nothing...motor won't turn over or attempt to start.

but do the lights get brighter, etc?

and on my car (98 hatch) the vss fuse is in the fuse box under the dash, 3rd one from the bottom, center column i think (i could check if you really need me to)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No, the lights in the gauge cluster eventually go out completely. They were bright when I attempted to start the car while jumping it on the first try. After a few more tries, they went out completely. Thanks for the info about the VSS. I had to replace my VSS sensor about 4 weeks ago because the prongs on it were corroded right through. The bad VSS caused multiple codes, because they share a common ground (#3, #17, #21, #22).

I have a 1993 CX, and my under-dash fuse box does not list a fuse for the VSS. I don't see a fuse for it in the under-hood fuse box either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it was the Main Relay. As far as my idle problem...I am going to replace all the grounds. Should I buy a kit or do it myself?

I know there is a ground running from the block and tranny. I have no idea about any other grounds. IIRC, I have read about a ground at the engine bay fuse box and thermo?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, after all the B.S. I finally found that the alarm I had installed was causing every and all problems. I ripped it all out, rewired the entire dashboard. Now my Civic runs like a scolded dog!!!!! A big thanks for all the input from everyone, I learned alot from the Honda guru's on this site.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
good to see you got it all worked out. i remember my car had a half assed alarm on it when i got it. under the dash looked like a wiring abortion i tore it out and never looked back.

·
Registered
00 civic
371 Posts
maybe look into an ignighter as far as your idle is concerned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts