Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't make threads unless I'm completely stumped. I may just be in a bad mood and not thinking straight.

Here goes. Engine is a d15beast7. I found a tear in my lower pcv hose going to the black box while changing my oil the other day. The tear was right before where the clamp squeezes the hose to the black box. The car has had 0 idle problems. I bought the replacement hose from the dealer and installed it today. I checked to make sure there were no tears that I created in the new hose. I also shook the pcv valve to make sure I heard it rattling around. I refilled my coolant, connected all my hoses properly and plugged all of my sensors in. I went to start the car and it idled at about 1.5k kind of like this thread except the opposite. It's dark now and I'm a lil tired but I will try the carb cleaner check mentioned in the thread tomorrow.

Does this sound like a leak somewhere else? I find it strange that it idled high and fluctuated after putting a brand new hose on. I'm stumped right now.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When you remove the intake manifold, coolant goes everywhere!!! I learned this during my first hg job. So from then on I drain the coolant when I remove the manifold.

I checked the hose connection to the black box, it's flush and the clamp is on tight. I can't rotate the hose very easily so I know that part is on tight. I also have the pcv valve pushed into the "box" end of the hose as much as possible. I can her a leak but its dark and I have no garage to check to see where it's coming from. Still gonna probe for ideas.

I dunno if this helps but here is where the old hose was torn.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cause it's easier to get to the black box that way......for me. I don't have a garage or a shop light to light anything up or go from underneath. I'm a parking lot mechanic, lol.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I also have the pcv valve pushed into the "box" end of the hose as much as possible.
I'm confused by this. Your PCV shouldn't be in that box on the engine, it should be in your intake manifold... Unless that's where they put them on the b7's? Not worked on one of those engines, but of the ones I have, it's always been on the manifold.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is! What made you think it was somewhere else? I'm just talking about replacing the lower pcv hose.

The part of the hose where the pcv valve sits is "boxed" or "squared" if you will.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmmm. Withe the idle air control valve unplugged it does not fluxuate. I have to wait until tomorrow to clean and adjust it though. Family function. Grrrrrr! I always have shit to do when my car decides to get sick.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Make sure your coolant is bled well

do you have a FITV? it hangs off the bottom of the TB with some coolant hoses to it. a lot of the time if no coolant gets to it, it will stay open and ur car will idle high.

double check for vacuum leaks otherwise, i bet you didnt hook something up.

high idle = more air going into the motor than it is expecting, and its not able to slow it down, look elsewhere than the idle valve. low idle = iacv. high idle = vacuum leak

do you have a stock ecu? unchipped?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure your coolant is bled well

do you have a FITV? it hangs off the bottom of the TB with some coolant hoses to it. a lot of the time if no coolant gets to it, it will stay open and ur car will idle high.

double check for vacuum leaks otherwise, i bet you didnt hook something up.

high idle = more air going into the motor than it is expecting, and its not able to slow it down, look elsewhere than the idle valve. low idle = iacv. high idle = vacuum leak

do you have a stock ecu? unchipped?
Yes, I have an FITV. I suspect that might be an issue. I need do the coolant hose re routing mentioned in my build thread by Chrisfrom1986. I've been putting it off. I can't seem to find anything that hasn't been connected properly. Vac lines or sensors but I will double check.

This is a stock ecu. P06

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I did some sleuthing to try to narrow some things down.

I noticed the two ports on the left side of the tb. I believe the top port is to the iacv and the bottom is to the fitv.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Way too high. When the idle lowers below 1k, I have my thumb over the port leading to the iacv. I suspect that it's stuck open....as well as the fitv. From what I read this is caused by coolant not getting to these areas. Which I do not understand because before i replaced the vac hose going to the black box behind the block it idled perfectly at 750.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
try bleeding it again
I hate to ask a stupid question but would it make a difference if I bled the system with my thumb over the upper port pictured above? This will be the third time I've bled this darned thing! Grrrrr!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
IACV clicking test

well, the IACV could be seized open... pop it off and hit the two terminals with 12v. it should click if its working.
Roger Wilco! Sorry for all the wind.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/SWA_Johnson/MOV049.mp4

IACV is working and the coolant system is full and bled for the third time. I idled the car at about 2500 rpms until it reached op temp but noticed my cooling fan did not kick on. :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts