Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isn’t a D, but it is a sohc. I thought you guys might be able to help me.
This is my first rebuild of a motor and d-series gave me the courage to do it.
Anyway, I rebuilt the motor with a bored out block, pistons, rings and bearing. The head was cleaned and new valve guides put in. I assembled the block with new timing belt, water pump, and oil pump. Installed it into an 89 Accord LXi. It started right up and runs great. The problem I am having is once the engine worms up and you bump the throttle the rpm’s will drop real low and die. It will start right back up and run fine until you bump the throttle again. It got a little better when I fixed a vacuum leak and a vacuum hose hooked up wrong, but it still wants to die on occasion. I checked the timing and it is at 10.5^. It is supposed to be at 15^ +-2^. I can’t turn the distributer any more to adjust it to 15^. Does that mean my timing belt is off a tooth? Could it be a bad injector? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get this running for my son.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If you can't set the timing with the dizzy, the belt must be off.

Cam timing can definitely degrade idle, especially when retarded that much. You're probably off at least one tooth.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I will try adjusting the timing belt this weekend. What direction do I need to move the belt or cam?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts