Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man have I had a shitty week.... Tranny rebuild - $1800. Preceded by what appeared to be a bad alternator. Was on the road and had Honda do the work. They replaced it ($545) only to leave me stranded the next morning. Turned out to be that the 12 month old battery had a flakey cell was all.

So I get my car back yesterday from the transmission shop...all happy that I could actually get the thing to engage in reverse, and then it left me stranded an hour later. Would not start. Acted like not getting spark or fuel. Eventually it did start. Drove directly to Honda, who seemed to think issue was a relay behind the glove box. They replaced it and all is well for the moment. Few minutes later, check engine light comes on. Code says something about idle rpm exceeded. Cleared code then watched the damn car idle hunt like crazy from 700 to 1800 rpm. Honda guy says need to flush out the system..probably crap built up in the TB or within the IACV, etc.

Okay, so I am tired of shoveling out $$$ and decide I can figure this out on my own. Today, I cleaned out the K & N and was ready to pull the IAWC and clean the intake screen....THEN I head to the auto parts store to pick up carb cleaner and on my way, I see the speedometer needle bouncing all over the place at a constant speed. While in the parking lot of the auto parts store parked in a spot with the engine running I watch the speedo needle wander all over the place - up to 60 mph! - and even saw my odometer click off another mile!

So at this point I am thinking that the problem is with my ECM. Can anyone offer some advice here. I don't have the assets to continue to pay professionals to play whack a mole.

Help...

Thank you,

·
Registered
125 Posts
The problem is the Plug.

Get on the back of the tranny and pull out the Speed Sensor Plug. You will Look into the plug and see the metal all corrodded. which is making it not work right. This is what happened to me after a swap. I pulled that plug out put it in a new tranny and speedo would freak out/not work right. Pulled and saw green oxidizing, cleaned it up and has worked great.

try that and let me know how it goes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts