Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im just kinda venting some frustration here and kinda asking a question. towards the end of the summer when the turbo setup was complete i rought my car to a local exhasut shop to have a downpipe made. well I found out after wating close to 2 hours that this was the guy on my cars first day. He came into the wating room and said he tried and couldnt figure out how to make it right. I asked if i could just get my flanges and go but he had arleady sat and welded them up. So one of their veteren fabricators came to help this guy out and they got it finished up.
I then left the shop and went straight to a local performance shop to have them finish my intercooler piping. they had it on a hoist for a while and imediatly brought to the attention ot what i like to call my " downstraw". this downpipe is literally 1.25" in outside diameter and covered in about 10 of the sloppiest welds wrapped all the way around and fully crush bent. After the pipiing was done i drove it back over to the exhaust shop and explained the problem. they said that it should work just fine and then started insulting me and telling me "that I must not know anything about cars becuase backpressure after the turbo doesnt matter". they charged my 65 bucks and refuse to refund my money. now my question is, am i making a big deal of nothing? should i keep complaining or should i just give up. is 1.25 going to be that bad? i mean it spools up by like 2k with it off and close to 4.5k with it on. is that normal?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Too much back pressure = compressor surge = bad news

Either way, I feel you got screwed, to be blunt.

Think about it, if you engine is just a BIG air pump, and your turbo allows more air to be forced in. The quickest way to get air in to the engine is with the least amount of resistance (to a point). If the rate of flow is resticted, then the air volume output is limited or horse power.
From all of my reading, 2.5" is a great starting number for diameter of the DP.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
1.25 outside diameter!? wow you did get screwd, btw any pics? but the thing is you dont want any backpressure after the turbo so the turbo can spin more freely so you can have quicker boost...

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
4,692 Posts
damn I had this conversation/ fight with a local tuner a while ago and he's flying off about back pressure on a turbo motor and how it's important.....bullshit.........on a NA motor it's important, but not on a FI set-up, I'd go back and bitch...........get your money back.......

·
Registered
784 Posts
the total cost was $65? If then, eat it. If its more, then go back with someone older(as these people never respect young adults) and again try to reason with them for a partial refund. If they wont, try to take them to small claims court.
In retrospect its partially your fault for bringing them the work and not telling them what you want done. You need to be VERY specific with these guys and expect subpar work. They do brake jobs every day. Their exhaust fixes are slip fit so their welds can be crap. They just need to hold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive gone back twice and talked to deiffrent people each time. they just keep telling me that nothing is wrong with the DP. one of the guys said that its almost an exact duplicate of the oem one?! then he got all pissed off when i asked what the oem dp looked like when the car doesnt come with a turbo. im thinking of just having my dad go over there and get it done. I dont think im getting much respect being only 17. does anyone know of a good fabricator in MN? either way its gota be replaced.

·
D-series WTF?!?!
3,674 Posts
That shit is sloppy as hell and ur turbo will not spool freely it will struggle so i will say fuk em up get ur money back even if it cause a big scene it ur car not theirs

·
Registered
784 Posts
The problem with working with muffler shops is they don't know anything of the performance world. You need to explain VERY clearly what you want/need done. Be VERY specific. This is something that comes with age/experience. Believe me, I'm sure everyone on here has stories like this. Bring your dad down and see if he they change their tune. $65 is an expensive lesson, but atleast its not a $1000 lesson. Go on honda-tech and do a search for shops in MN. I know there are some that are familiar with turbo'd hondas. If not honda-tech, HMT has a pretty decent amount of MNers that could probably point you in the right direction.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
Dont take their shit. Have em build you a new one or get your money back. period.
:TU: I'm with him, I'm kinda going through the same thing, but the dipshit who did my exhaust bottle necked it and it killing me on top end performance. I'm having to take mine to a diff shop to have the whole exhaust redone from the down pipe back.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
bigwig said:
The problem with working with muffler shops is they don't know anything of the performance world. You need to explain VERY clearly what you want/need done. Be VERY specific. This is something that comes with age/experience. Believe me, I'm sure everyone on here has stories like this. Bring your dad down and see if he they change their tune. $65 is an expensive lesson, but atleast its not a $1000 lesson. Go on honda-tech and do a search for shops in MN. I know there are some that are familiar with turbo'd hondas. If not honda-tech, HMT has a pretty decent amount of MNers that could probably point you in the right direction.
hes 100% correct. unless you actually told him what size pipe and how you wanted it made your out of luck. it sucks but thats how it is..

now if you told them you wanted 2.5" mandrel bent pipe then go back otherwise dont waste your time.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
psi_o_so_hi said:
ive gone back twice and talked to deiffrent people each time. they just keep telling me that nothing is wrong with the DP. one of the guys said that its almost an exact duplicate of the oem one?! then he got all pissed off when i asked what the oem dp looked like when the car doesnt come with a turbo. im thinking of just having my dad go over there and get it done. I dont think im getting much respect being only 17. does anyone know of a good fabricator in MN? either way its gota be replaced.
Yep give J.P. a call he has been my mechanic for 4 years now, he strives on being perfect with his work, you can even watch him work on it and hell prolly only charge you like 50-60 bucks, but it will be done right. He lives in rogers over by maple grove,...... here is his number- 763-421-2284 hes a hella nice guy... tell him Paul sent ya..... l8er

·
Registered
168 Posts
that sucks man, that's why nowdays any exhaust modification I need done is done with clamps and wrenches. I'd rather have it look bad and work well then take it to the clowns at our shops

·
sub-sponsor
5,175 Posts
go back and bitch, god i hate the redneck muffler shop mechanics dont know a goddamn thing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts