Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is the wrong place but i need help

So a little history I bought a 2000 civic with a blown d16y7 (like hole in block blown) to play around with. well turns out I need to drive the car sooner than I wanted to. so i picked up a d series from an old man that didn't know much about it. it was in his mechanic shop from his son been sitting in stored condition for a few years. the engine code has been sanded off and re stamped with Z Z Z

here is what I know by looking

the head stamp reads p08-1 9/1 (d15b jdm, right?)
it also has another 10 digit number stamped close to thermostat that reads
b111260648
the valve cover says vtec and it has vtec solenoid also

how do I know for sure what bottom end this is?
is there another code on the block somewhere?

it is also marked with asap motors round metal stamp says warranty voided if removed (maybe the size of a nickel). one on the head and one on the block. anyone heard of this place?

I will add pictures when I get home and take some
thanks for any help

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
P08 just means z6 head casting which is the same as obd1 jdm d15b vtec.
Take off the head and look at the piston code or look on the block for a P__ code and the year may be stamped into the block as well. It could be anything someone threw together and personally I wouldn't touch anything someone shaved the serial number off, huge red flag with absolutely no justifiable reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was dark last night but the only code i could find on the motor was the same p08 code. yeah it threw me for a loop when i saw it was shaved off, i honestly thought it was just dirty and i was tired from the drive to get it. but when i got it home i saw the dreaded sander marks. i got it from an old man who said it was his sons from when his son raced civics years ago,the guy was moving shops or selling out and was just trying to get someone to move it. but nonetheless i now have this motor that i dont know what it is. i will be pulling the head off soon to look at the pistons. unless you recognize the p08 code on the engine.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
wonder if it was a stolen motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
so after talking to a few more people it seems like this motor could be from japan and just didnt pass emissions, it is very common to go through an inspection at about 30000 miles and if you dont pass you needed to replace your motor. the old ones shaved and shipped elsewhere with less emissions. so im not to much concerned about it being stolen. asap motors is a place that sells jdm motors and a few other people have gotten engines without codes like mine.

it was never installed in a car, never ran after it was bought. so i dont think it was raced. but its been sitting for a few years at least, so i plan on doing a gasket set and head studs to start. planning stock internals with a small turbo as a daily. just enought to move out its own way

·
Registered
7 Posts
well seems like i dont have enough posts to submit a picture, so i made an album on my profile. motor head and block codes. but at this point im sure its a

D15B VTEC (JDM)
92 VTi Auto--------------------------------P08-1 (Year Code 9/1)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts