Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a container that I can repurpose for use as a water to air intercooler reservoir. Ideally, it should be aluminum or steel and have some sort of screw-on or latching top. Was also shooting for something about 4-6" in diameter. I've been looking around with no luck for quite a while but I know there's gotta be something out there that's not too expensive.

Any ideas?

Hate to ask for help but I really don't wanna pay out the ass to have something fabbed up with a TIG. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Weld steel and paint it.
Use a plastic box.
Use and plastic ice chest or look into camping gear.

I plan to do the same. Mainly for my ac. It's Been really hot here and the ac doesn't cut it sometimes.
A few years ago I spray the ac with water from the windshield wipers and it help a lot.

My plan this time is to weld up a steel box in the trunk and probably use a small fuel pump and mister nozzle.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy, replied to your PM mitsuman.

Looks like I need something that's about 6x4x4" that'll fit behind my manifold. Was planning on possibly going the ice chest route but I don't think SCCA rules will allow it to flow inside the cabin.

I have a MIG...might look into some thinner steel

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I looking around In my garage for ideas and I found a hinged ammo box which looks like its gonna be perfect for my setup.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Ice reservoir? Or just a reservoir for liquid that will be cooled else where?

If ice, go BIG!!! The ice doesnt last long. We are talking less than 5 minutes.

I had one tigged up for super cheap. I used a fuel cell lid for the lid. It was super cheap.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
I know the original celica all track used an air to water intercooler. it used the engines cooling system along with a separate heat exchanger pre intercooler.

its a real stealthy setup. only the 2nd generation all tracks stood out, different hood and fenders..

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Danz, yes, ice. I plan on running a copper coil through the ice resivoiur so that the fluid capacity of the system is unchanged by the addition of ice. So far the ammo can is looking like the easiest/cheapest bet since I'm limited by size and can't the lines into the cabin per SCCA rules

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
Danz, yes, ice. I plan on running a copper coil through the ice resivoiur so that the fluid capacity of the system is unchanged by the addition of ice. So far the ammo can is looking like the easiest/cheapest bet since I'm limited by size and can't the lines into the cabin per SCCA rules
Hmm where'd you get that idea??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking through the rulebook again, I think I misinterpreted this part under the cooling section:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2013 Solo Rules Book updated 5-1.pdf

Any water radiator is allowed, provided there are no changes in
the exterior bodywork to accommodate its use. It shall not be lo-
cated in the driver/ passenger compartment. Separate expansion
or header tank(s) are permitted, provided they are not mounted in
the driver/passenger compartment.
The heater core may be re-
moved entirely but not modified or replaced. Water radiators may
be filled with water, antifreeze, and/or nonflammable liquids the
purpose of which is to transfer heat and/or inhibit freezing, boil-
ing, and/or corrosion. A Corvair may use a water radiator. Other
modifications which may be involved in its use are not permitted
unless explicitly allowed by the contents of Section 17. A radiator
may be relocated so long as the other applicable items in Section
17 are not violated (e.g. the exterior bodywork is not altered) to
accommodate the change.

Looks like this only applies to the engine cooling system. I can't find anything in the rules that specifically refers to any other kind of fluid reservoir. Contacted SCCA for clarification. Would love to run an ice chest in the passenger footwell if it's allowed

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I talked to Doug who's the tech manager for solo and he said that having it in the passenger footwell is a grey area. Nothing that explicitly prohibits it but there are little rules here and there that may be interpreted in a way that makes it seem illegal. He also verified that ice is permitted in SMF.

So begins the project to construct the copper core and find the right ice chest!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts