Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys building my first motor in a couple of months after school and just wanted to see if everything would be a good idea and any suggestions would be REALLY helpful. Snows comin so ill have some time! I want a high compression motor with high revs

ZC SOHC Vtec 1.6L motor
Bottom End
Pistons- D16Y7
Stock rods with ARP bolts
New bearings

Cylinder Head

Port n Polish
Shave 0.050
Valve train package from KMS performance with a block guard (titanium retainers, springs, and better valves

Im not sure about the cam though because if the heads shaved i dont know if the cam will open the valves to far and turn the motor into captain crunch.

·
Registered
92 cx
930 Posts
I'm sorry according to the compression calculator I'm getting 8.8:1 compression with that set-up. Are you using the zc sohc vtec head as well? If so I'd reccomend the z6 or y8 head and do a little more research before you buy things it will save you $.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya thats what i got was almost 11:1 compression because the head is a Z6 pretty much with a more aggressive cam in it.

How high can u go with compression considering i have 94 octane readily available\

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Hate to tell you but your comp will be around 9:1 with a 2 layer HG and a Z6/ZC head with a Y7 pistons?

Z6 with a set of PG-6's will put you in the 11's without the head mill.

And im guessing you live in Canada?
94 Sunoco will run fine with that comp, my boy in NS is running 91 on a 13:1comp type-r build. Not to mention I was running in the 12's with a 94 Sunoco know problem.

·
Registered
92 cx
930 Posts
I plugged in ZC head that's why i got such a low compression. Didn't realize it was a Z6 head already.

I would use a 2-layer y8 head gasket to raise the compression and only take 0.040 off the head to save some meat for another rebuild next time you resurface the head. Using a 2-layer with only taking 0.040 off would put you at 10.86:1. You could get the block decked as well, raising it to about 11:1, ensuring your mating surfaces will be clean and flush with less risk of head gasket failure.

Personally with the cam and valvetrain options out there I'd go with bisimoto's valvetrain (springs and retainers) and probably a stage 2 regrind if on a budget. The kms block guard is a waste and i doubt their valvetrain can out perform bisi's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i still have to see if the bottom end is gonna be ok or if i have to get it bored out because i only wanna build this once and make it perfect. Im kinda worried about the oval issue with the cylinders because I put this little engine through some HARD HARD times lol. Still have to take it apart in 2 months because of school.

And I know 12:1 is pretty high for stock internals in the bottom so what's worth doing to make it "bullet proof". I like really reving it up as high as it can get.

·
Registered
92 cx
930 Posts
These motors wont make power past 8,500rpm unless you have bongo bucks. The bottom end should be fine up to 8,000rpm if built correctly. Main issue would be the valvetrain. So upgrade the springs and retainers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts